power issue after exhaust install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
power issue after exhaust install

Hey all. Needing a little help figuring out what's wrong with my truck. I have a 2006 ccsb. I installed the 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust today. Driving to the shop where I did the work, the truck ran fine and normal. After the install, I am not getting any boost at all. The truck takes off fine, but then it just like it bogs and doesn't really go anywhere.

I also have a check engine light which I have no idea what it's for as I can't get it scanned. I checked all the couplers to the intake, turbo, ic and such and nothing is off, cracked, or broken. I can barely hear the turbo, even less than when it was stock. Any and all help is VERY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Addressing the potentially BIGGEST fault first is what I recommend. The presence of a CEL could be related to the exhaust or it could be something different but it is condition that you really don't want to drive on. It is that particular fact that is why some tool to read engine conditions is critical. Fundamentally, these tools are gauges...you could go with analog gauges but then analog gauges won't read engine codes; that is why so many have an OBDII gauge set to also read engine codes. The Edge Insight or SCT TSX or any number of other OBDII gauge sets will provide critical temperatures and pressures available to the computer but not displayed to the user through the stock "gauges." Many of the stock "gauges" do not provide any reliable precision or accuracy for such critical values as engine coolant temperature (ECT) and transmission fluid temperature (TFT) - there isn't even a stock gauge for engine oil temperature (EOT). With the addition of an OBDII reader, you can identify the source of the CEL as well as indirectly monitor the condition of the oil cooler (ECT/EOT difference under 15 degrees), the turbo (boost builds and falls)...you still have to get additional sensors for fuel pressure (FP) and exhaust gas temperature (EGT)...if you tow.

All of this to say, it is really difficult to provide any sort of reliable guess what has set your CEL without an OBDII code reader. All auto parts stores will read your codes for you at no cost. I encourage you to get the code identified quickly.

Good luck!

Jonathan
Old 03-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check to make sure you didn't knock the VGT solenoid connector loose when you were on top messing with the downpipe clamp. Also check the MAP sensor plug.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

dhanna- any chance you could tell/show me where those plugs are?

I have boost, egt, and trans temp gauges in the truck. I took the truck to autozone and they tried to scan it, but there was an error, so they couldn't read it. Another member on this board said that the normal scanners from auto parts stores can't scan our systems. Is there any truth to that?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam6.0 View Post
dhanna- any chance you could tell/show me where those plugs are?

I have boost, egt, and trans temp gauges in the truck. I took the truck to autozone and they tried to scan it, but there was an error, so they couldn't read it. Another member on this board said that the normal scanners from auto parts stores can't scan our systems. Is there any truth to that?
It is true that those type of scan tools don't work on diesels.

Your VGT solenoid is located in between the 2 halves of the turbo. It's the white plug you see in the pic.

You MAP sensor is towards the passenger side fender and is mounted on a triangle bracket. Check and make sure the rubber hose is attached. Also make sure your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is connected. It is located in the intake tube just behind the air filter. It's a rectangle plug. Don't have a pic. of it though.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

if the vgt is the white one then it is still plugged in. I will check the map sensor tomorrow.

Would that being unplugged keep the truck out of boost and make it run like crap? We;; accelerate like crap. Idle is fine.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
if the vgt is the white one then it is still plugged in. I will check the map sensor tomorrow.

Would that being unplugged keep the truck out of boost and make it run like crap? We;; accelerate like crap. Idle is fine.
It is the white plug. Your plug may be a differnt color but will be in the same place. If any of the 3 sensors are unplugged/disconnected, you will not build boost.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

the map sensor might have come loose when i was wiggling the down pipe out. I did it in one piece. Hopefully that is the only issue and it is an easy fix. I don't have the money to buy anything super expensive right now.

I look at it in the morning and I'll post back.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

did a quick check on the sensors this morning at work. The VGT wasn't plugged in all the way. The clips on the sides that hold the harnessin were broke so I tossed a zip tie on it real quick and it seems to be fine now. Exhaust sounds like a jet now. Can't wait to drive it home!!!

Thanks for the help everyone, especially dhanna. You seem to be the one to help me most when I need it lol. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
did a quick check on the sensors this morning at work. The VGT wasn't plugged in all the way. The clips on the sides that hold the harnessin were broke so I tossed a zip tie on it real quick and it seems to be fine now. Exhaust sounds like a jet now. Can't wait to drive it home!!!

Thanks for the help everyone, especially dhanna. You seem to be the one to help me most when I need it lol. Thanks again.
No problem Glad it was a quick fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.