Aftermarket exhaust questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket exhaust questions

Hey, I'm new here and have found this site to be a wealth of information. You all have a ton of knowledge!!! I have been looking for info on exhaust systems and haven't really found the answers so here is my delima. I recently was told that the cat on my 06 is crapin' itself and the dealership wants $1700 for the part and another $300 bucks for the install... Obviously that isn't gonna happen.
My question is this, if I go to an after market 4" turbo back system will I encounter any other issues that will need to be dealt with like problem codes, back pressure, fitment, excessive noise etc?
I have an 06 F250 that is essentially stock with the exception of an aftermarket air filter. I just had the 90K service done and other than that the truck is in great shape. I really want the reliability to remain, so if not messing with the whole exhaust system is better then ok, I can have an aftermarket cat installed but wanted to investigate the whole system for lower EGT's, better fuel economy etc.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated
Respectfully
Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncer44 View Post
Hey, I'm new here and have found this site to be a wealth of information. You all have a ton of knowledge!!! I have been looking for info on exhaust systems and haven't really found the answers so here is my delima. I recently was told that the cat on my 06 is crapin' itself and the dealership wants $1700 for the part and another $300 bucks for the install... Obviously that isn't gonna happen.
My question is this, if I go to an after market 4" turbo back system will I encounter any other issues that will need to be dealt with like problem codes, back pressure, fitment, excessive noise etc?
I have an 06 F250 that is essentially stock with the exception of an aftermarket air filter. I just had the 90K service done and other than that the truck is in great shape. I really want the reliability to remain, so if not messing with the whole exhaust system is better then ok, I can have an aftermarket cat installed but wanted to investigate the whole system for lower EGT's, better fuel economy etc.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated
Respectfully
Sean

I may be wrong but yours with 90k and have a cat that is going bad is a first, you could get a 4" with just a muff for about $350 good to go if you do not have to do DEQ testing but it will do nothing for more MPG maybe lower EGTs some.
Hope the air intake is not a K&N, the stock intake is good to 500HP and for better fuel mileage go light on the go peddle
2 stroker
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 PM

I have a Silverline 4" and sounds great. No cat converter. Bought the truck with the mod so can't tell if it improves anything or not. I just know it sounds great and the egt's lower fast.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you dont want to spend the 300 or so for a full aftermarket exhaust you can always buy a cat delete pipe for the stock exhaust. You just unbolt the stock cat and take it out and the pipe slides in where the stock cat was. However if your state emission tests then every year you will have to put the cat back in to pass your tests but it shouldn't really be to big of a deal, something like a 20 minute job once a year or something.

Not sure if im allowed to post the link to the vendors page I am looking at but the delete is around 60 bucks plus shipping so thats not bad at all for price.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After market exhaust

Thank you all for the input I do appreciate the advice. I just don't want to get into a situation where I have to throw more money into it because I didn't think things through. 2 Stroker, you say it will be bad at first what do you mean? Will it just run rough or am I going to be seeing check engine lights? And no improvement in MPG huh? DANG!

If I go to an aftermarket Cat and install that will that be a better option? I really hate to get ride of the stainless exhaust on it as that will last a lot longer than the aluminized stuff. I also understand that the breathing and exhausting easier is also key so the 4" might be better anyway.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Just buy a 4" turbo back kit and be done with it. We have several kits listed on our site well under $300 shipped to your door. We also have kits that will allow you to bolt the cat back in place if you want to. Let me know if I can help.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncer44 View Post
Thank you all for the input I do appreciate the advice. I just don't want to get into a situation where I have to throw more money into it because I didn't think things through. 2 Stroker, you say it will be bad at first what do you mean? Will it just run rough or am I going to be seeing check engine lights? And no improvement in MPG huh? DANG!

If I go to an aftermarket Cat and install that will that be a better option? I really hate to get ride of the stainless exhaust on it as that will last a lot longer than the aluminized stuff. I also understand that the breathing and exhausting easier is also key so the 4" might be better anyway.
do you have a picture of it? stock exhaust is aluminized not stainless.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.