Towing with the powermax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing with the powermax

We were moving some calves around today and thought I would show everyone how the powermax performed!

Towing ~25k with powermax, stock injectors and 140hp tune!!

EGTs stayed at 980* and boost was at about 11psi. Accelerating the EGTs would get to 1100*

I though it did great for a performance tune!

I know I was only going 45mph.... not that fast... and I am nowhere saying that you should go out and tow with a performance tune.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM

I tow all the time with my programer at 114HP setting and observe the same results you have shown. Its up to me to take care of the truck so I am able to tow with lower Boost and same a lot of fuel while towing that way. I can cruise all day at around 10 PSI Boost at 60MPH and 16MPG while towing the 15500Lbs RV that has 12' 8" front height, and 7000 Lbs Axles.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM

Very nice
Old 03-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Pretty sweet! Have to love a powerful work truck
Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I flat out LOVE towing with my PowerMax turbo. It's like a night and day difference between that and the stock turbo.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That sounds awesome, but I am going to throw my two cents worth in. I put the bulletproof oil cooler and egr cooler on my truck several weeks ago and changed the head gaskets and. Put in studs at the same time. During the install my mechanic told me my turbo was about to go out. So some research later and 1200 bucks I end up with a powermax got it out and all was great, lots of power but noticed egt's a little high. I hadn't towed anything at this point. Cruising home one night enjoying my power I blew up my six speed tranny. After changing that and installing a southbend clutch I was ready to tow my 38' 5th wheel about 15,000 lbs. Ok, now we are at today, aaagggghhhh!!!! I hooked up this morning heading to cali. I got a few miles down the road and my egt's were at 1250 at 70 mph, ok I guess I can live with that but then the boost hit 22 psi and the turbo started coughing or barking or whatever you call it. Almost sounds like its running out of air. So now I'm driving 60mph in 4th gear to keep egt's and barking to a minimum its taking lots of diesel about 8mpg and my 2000 dollar oil cooler is overheating my oil. I don't know what's going on here but the combination of equipment I have now is no good for towing. Maybe someone can tell me a good place to get some custom tunes that will flow more air. My self diagnosis is that the turbine is outrunning the compressor and in turn not pushing the air fast enough through the intercooler then it coughs to catch up which is adding to the high egt and oil temps. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but it kinda does to me. I don't know if its a programming problem or a turbo problem but I'm not real happy with the powermax right now.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:21 PM

did you get your tunes changed for the powermax?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've got a banks sixgun right now, I've got it on level six (the highest) and it is the best level I've tried but I think I need an sct or something like that and someone to write me a tune for it.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM

I got a couple questions since the powermax is on topic. Any gains in mpg with this and i asked about tuning for powermax from vivian and they told me it would be the same as stock turbo would be. What do they tune for with powermax?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAbenefactor View Post
I've got a banks sixgun right now, I've got it on level six (the highest) and it is the best level I've tried but I think I need an sct or something like that and someone to write me a tune for it.
There is your problem. The tunes need to be changed when you install the powermax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.