Is Leaving Distilled Water In Radiator/Block Safe After Flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is Leaving Distilled Water In Radiator/Block Safe After Flush

recently flushed out my radiator following instructions on how to flush out Ford's Gold Coolant to convert my '05 F350 6.0L to an ELC brand coolant. I used over 46 gallons of distilled water along with Restore and finishing off with VC9 with yet more flushes to clean out the block and radiator of excess coolant flush. I then ordered a coolant filter from Diesel Site and postponed placing the ELC until I get the coolant filter. I am also changing the thermostat and hoses while I'm at it. My question is it's been close to a week and I left distilled water in the system until today. I drained the block and lower radiator hose as I had been doing during the muliple distilled water flushes I performed. Is leaving the distilled water for long periods of time (5) days in the radiator and engine block allowing for rust to appear? I plan to change the hoses and place concentrate Zerex ELC and top off with distilled water this weekend. I hope I didn't do something I'm going to pay for later in my cooling system. As I mentioned. I used over 40 gallons of distilled water during the process so I'm pretty confident all I have is distilled water in the system. Sorry so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You spent too much money on distilled water. You can do all your cleaning and preliminary rinses with plain tap water. Then flush 3 to 5 times with distilled to get the tap water out. Distilled water should not promote rusting as it has no minerals etc. but it does nothing to protect your engine. There is no reason for waiting to put the ELC in and I recommend you do so immediately. Driving your truck with straight water will allow cavitation when running which will eat away at the internals of your engine.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Although I left distilled water in the radiator and block for close to week, I wasn't using the truck for commuting. I had the truck sitting in the driveway. I also had removed the thermostat during the flushes and still have the thermostat off. As I mentioned, I emptied out the block and radiator yesterday and the truck is sitting in the driveway until I can get out of work today to starting installing the ELC concentrate. I was just concerned that leaving the water in place and with prolong contact with the metals in the block and radiator, I was promoting rust. And I agree, I used way to much distilled water but at $.98 a gallon, I thought it was well worth cleaning out as much as possible. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.