Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cat Delete

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  colinmacdon 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am buying an 05 PSD next week, already put a down payment on it:woot:

The truck already has an aftermarket catback (not sure on the brand) and what seems to be a 3.5" downpipe (def. not stock). It does, though, still have the stock cat. I was wondering if this will be a tricky situation where I will need to measure out everything, or if I can just buy a bolt in cat delete like this one.

Parleys Diesel Performance: MBRP Stainless Steel Catalytic Converter Test/Delete Pipe for 2003-2007 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke

I have access to a welder and I'm not worried about that, but just curious if anyone knows how simple it is to slip a delete in between aftermarket pieces.

Thanks guys!:thumb:

#2 ·
I cleaned mine out with a sledge hammer and a 4ft piece of 1 3/4" EMT. The stock downpipe is 3.5". You may have a 4" downpipe or even a 5". You may experience some rubbing with the 5", if that turns out to be what you have. To answer your question yes you can just buy a bolt in cat delete pipe from whoever manufactures your exhaust system. If its a larger size than stock, a cat delete pipe will allow your engine to get full use of the exhaust by eliminating the restrictive cat and the bottle neck with the smaller stock pipe.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply!

This would probably be easier if I had the truck already and wasn't speculating:rofl:

But I think I would like to keep the cat just in case! So I'll need to figure out what kind of exhaust I have.

As for the downpipe, it didn't look like a stock unit to me. It looked to be stainless and didn't have a heat shield or anything. No rust, very clean. The truck has 75,000 miles on it but I have a feeling it's aftermarket.

#8 ·
Its not a CAT its a resonator for sound only. The only time it would be a "Cat" is a DPF which has two sensors one before it one after it just like a gasser.

#9 ·
I have a straight pipe exhuast with 4" down pipe and live in SoCal. Took it to smog and the tech didnt even notice it was removed. Half the time the smog places may not be familiar with diesels and you can geget away with it. If your worried jist buy some clamps, weld them to yoir cat/resonateor then do same to a test pipe and bolt it in and out when needed if needed. You will love the sound to say the least.

#10 ·
So I have my truck now and the truck has an MRBP exhaust which I am happy to have discovered. It still has the large resonator (what I thought was the cat) in place and I'm going to order a delete for it. Is this going to trigger a check engine light? If so will a SCT take care of that?

#14 ·
Worked for Ford is it NOT a cat you can even look it up it comes back as a resinator. Its the same one used on a 7.3 from 94.5-03

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.