Bypass? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bypass?

I see from reading the posts that its a good idea to put a coolant filter on our 6.0's. My question is, are any of you running bypass oil filters? What are your thoughts on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancox51 View Post
I see from reading the posts that its a good idea to put a coolant filter on our 6.0's. My question is, are any of you running bypass oil filters? What are your thoughts on them?
If you plan on keeping your truck install a by-pass the stock ford filter cleans to 20 microns and the by-pass cleans to 2 microns the oil gets filtered about every 10-15 minutes and these injectors run in oil so it is a + and also run Syn oil they love it right now i'm running Amsoil 15w40 but the next change i will switch to a 5w40 for better startups in cold weather because these motors flow 15-18 gallons a minute.
2 stroker
Old 03-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

I'm running the Amsoil bypass on my 6.4.
A lot of people told me not to bother, it's a gimmick.
It just seems too logical to me that filtering your oil down to 2-4 microns is better than 20 microns.
I have over 6,000 miles on the first oil change since installing and when I check my oil it is as clean as the day I put it in.
I will probably run the oil until 10,000 miles before changing filters.
I will take a sample and send it in for analysis at that time.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys. I agree with you. I was told that its a waste of money but how can it not be better to filter your oil more? Especially with how expensive these trucks are and trying to make them last as long as possible. Cheap insurance in my book.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

MOST DAMAGE OCCURS IN THE LOWER MICRON PARTICLES, THINK ABOUT IT OIL COMPANIES DONT WANT US TO QUIT USING OIL. THAT IS FACT!!
IF U WANT TO KEET UR TRK, WHY NOT PROTECT IT.
IM JUST INSTALLED A BYPASS, RESEARCHED IT TO DEATH!!!! THERE ARE FLEET TRUCKS RUNNING PAST 100K MILES ON THE SAME OIL- THEY JUST CHANGE THE BYPASS FILTER,SEND IN OIL SAMPLE FOR TESTING AND KEEP GOING! IF THE TEST IS GOOD THERE IS NO NEED TO CHANGE. WITH THE TEST WE NOW HAVE U CAN TELL IF THE MOTOR IS GOING OUT BEFORE IT DOES.IT IS ALSO A GOOD WAY TO TEST A USED MOTOR FROM A WRECK TO SEE IF ITS IS GOOD.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningasigo View Post
MOST DAMAGE OCCURS IN THE LOWER MICRON PARTICLES, THINK ABOUT IT OIL COMPANIES DONT WANT US TO QUIT USING OIL. THAT IS FACT!!
IF U WANT TO KEET UR TRK, WHY NOT PROTECT IT.
IM JUST INSTALLED A BYPASS, RESEARCHED IT TO DEATH!!!! THERE ARE FLEET TRUCKS RUNNING PAST 100K MILES ON THE SAME OIL- THEY JUST CHANGE THE BYPASS FILTER,SEND IN OIL SAMPLE FOR TESTING AND KEEP GOING! IF THE TEST IS GOOD THERE IS NO NEED TO CHANGE. WITH THE TEST WE NOW HAVE U CAN TELL IF THE MOTOR IS GOING OUT BEFORE IT DOES.IT IS ALSO A GOOD WAY TO TEST A USED MOTOR FROM A WRECK TO SEE IF ITS IS GOOD.
Well a bypass filter won't get you anything in the extended oil change interval. The nature of the 6.0 is that the HPOS shears the oil too bad and you still have to change it at about 6k-6500 miles. Sorry to pop your bubble.

Never the less it is a good idea for the longevity and reliability of your motor. I highly recommend you run one.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Well a bypass filter won't get you anything in the extended oil change interval. The nature of the 6.0 is that the HPOS shears the oil too bad and you still have to change it at about 6k-6500 miles. Sorry to pop your bubble.

Never the less it is a good idea for the longevity and reliability of your motor. I highly recommend you run one.
Yup. Better that there is one less thing to worry about.
I'm also looking into making my own coolant and trans filters.
I also want to set up a transfer fuel tank with high efficiency filter system so that all fuel that goes into the main tank goes through it.
Now I just have to find the moolah to do it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.