6.0 Mod HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Mod HELP!!

I have a 04 6.0 f350 6spd maual and i could use some help from some of you more experienced guys out there. The truck has 95,000 miles and is stock other than it has the edge Juice with evelution, and a 4 inch strait pipe banks. I have an idea of the things i want to do but i need some feed back. What are key things that need to be done to make sure my truck runs great and with plenty of power...........

Sinister EGR delete and oil cooler rebuild?
I read a lot about the SCT tune but is this available it i have the edge juice?
Coolant bypass filter?
What coolant to run?
Any other mods.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM

First off if you like your transmission your going to wanna dump the edge and pick up an sct with custom tunes. Coolant filter and gauges are a MUST for the 6.0. You need to be able to monitor your temps and keep the coolant clean. Alot of guys run the CAT ELC-1, I'm not real familiar with that other than it doesn't have silicates like the Ford gold does.
The EGR delete and oil cooler rebuild depend on what you wanna do with the truck and what the temps are all reading. Hope that helps
Old 03-06-2011, 05:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^
He's right on pretty much everything.
The only thing I disagree with would be about getting rid of the Edge to save your tranny.
Your truck is an standard, so it's up to you and your feet on how long your tranny will last not any kind of specific tuning.
In all reality, the SCT could be harder on your tranny since it will give you more power.

Never the less, get rid of the Edge A.S.A.P. and get an SCT with custom tuning.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 PM

thanks for the help! How does the sct work. is it just one tune the whole time. You have 5 positions with the evelution, 5 being the most power. is that something i can keep with the sct? the edge shows, boost, egt, mod temp, volts, trans temp, and motor temp. I was told that if i had an oil and water temp i could monitor them and if they were within 15 degrees there was no need for the egr delete or oil cooler. My plan for the truck is to have as much power as possible with decent mpg. I hardly do any pulling
Old 03-06-2011, 05:31 PM

who's custom tuning do you use and why?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the link but before i spend a ton of money i would like to know more about the sct tuners. will it basically replace my juice and my evelution programmer work with it to where i can turn it up and down or is the sct a one tune, one position all the time deal???? I have a mileage selection on mine and it seems to be getting about 20 mpg but if i turn it up to extreme it gets no where near that, and im reading that these guys have extreme tunes and are getting 21 mpg. just hard to believe. sorry if my questions sound dumb! Dont learn untill you ask
Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Nah. Questions are fine.

An SCT with custom tunes are in all honesty, the only way to go with the 6.0l.

Yes, they are not "change on the fly". meaning that you can't change while driving. You will have to pull over and change tunes whenever you want.
With custom tunes, there's really no "economy tune". The best way to get good MPG is to always use the most powerful tune you have, and keep your foot out of it.

And 21mpg is possible. I get 20pmg in my 4door long bed 6.0l with massive bumpers.

And no, you will not be able to use your evolution and juice. In all reality, I wouldn't use them on my truck even if someone gave them to me for free.

The best thing for power, MPG, and longevity is custom tuning with an SCT and something to monitor your vitals.
This is what I use. I think using this is better than gauges because you can see more things for cheaper.

Edge CS install. AWESOME
Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 PM

does having a really high hp tune 24/7 effect motor reliability and how about running on the interstate. Are the rpms higher? Is the edge cs the only one that works with the sct. Preferably i would love to leave my juice on extreme all day everyday but it is unpractical do to mpg, and it rolls coal when i get into it which can be annoying to other people. i like it some times but it gives diesels a bad rep. even though they are un educated about them lol
Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 PM

Engine reliability has nothing to do with the programs you use.
It has to do what that thing connected to your right leg.
No, RPMs do not run higher. I hate to break it to you, but Edge has absolutely nothing when compared
to a custom tune.
It can't even hold a candle next to an SCT. Edge and Banks are inferior and overpriced.

Don't spend $ on this:
Sinister EGR delete and oil cooler rebuild?
I read a lot about the SCT tune but is this available it i have the edge juice?
Coolant bypass filter?
What coolant to run?
Any other mods.

Without spending money on this:
Old 03-06-2011, 06:55 PM

you said to get the best mpg you need to have the highest hp tune. Does having a higher hp tune adjust your fuel intake. i was thinking the higher the setting the more fuel you use...??? The way everyone is talking about the sct i might have to get one and ditch the juice. it really sucks because my cousin spent like 700 hundred on the combo before i bought it. i mean it has insane power on level 5 but other post mention my transmission wearing with it. I mean is the edge bad for my truck or is it just the performance factor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.