Coolant Filter Installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Filter Installation

hey guys, I have read the directions, its a straight foward install. my one question is, will the air from the filter kit lines work itself out, do i have to add more coolant? since its getting warmer here in the south can i use distilled water for the next month or so till i do a flush and change the filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I installed mine, I just filled the filter with coolant and didn't notice any change in coolant level. Yes, the small amount of air in the lines will work itself right out. Distilled water is what you should use, and for the small amount you should use, just distilled water will be fine. Very good choice on adding a coolant filter BTW
Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks...paranoia gets the best of me.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:33 AM

No problem!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i just bought the truck with 115,000 on the ticker. The guy was a heaevy equip operator and diesel mechanic. He said he did all his maintenance at 6k, oil change, oil filter and fuel filters. hes already done the upgraded fuel spring, ran power service and flushed it at least once or twice a year. I just put an edge insight on it, and the coolant and oil temps are identical or within 2 degrees at operating temps on the highway. Im pretty stoked bout that. I wanna keep it that way.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 AM

Thats a big 10-4 on the temp delta!! Thats great, and a coolant filter is your best defense/maintenance. Nice find! Good luck with the truck!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

welp, i got it done. had to run to the store and get distilled water and wait for it to cool back down. minus the cool down it took all of , 30 minutes. I opened the degas bottle fearing the worse....chocolate colored coolant....to my surprise, it wasnt even gold...it was as clear as strawberry or cherry soda. I guess the guy really wasnt yankin my chain when he said he took care of her.
the only hiccup i had was placement of the "T" fitting on the heater line....i guess cause i have the "AUTO" option on my heat/ac, kinda like a thermostat, i reckon to maintain air temps on its own, i have a vaccum operated butterfly valve on the heater line, i put the "T" before that butterfly so the filter always has fluid, not just when the heat is on.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-K141 View Post
the only hiccup i had was placement of the "T" fitting on the heater line....i guess cause i have the "AUTO" option on my heat/ac, kinda like a thermostat, i reckon to maintain air temps on its own, i have a vaccum operated butterfly valve on the heater line, i put the "T" before that butterfly so the filter always has fluid, not just when the heat is on.
Anyone have more information on this either way? I'm in the same boat with my '06. thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i called sinister, they were bafuttled when i asked about it, he said hed never seen one, but we both agreed, put it before the valve , that would be no diff then if the valve wasnt there. if you placed it after, the fluid into the "T" fitting would be dependant upon the valve position, open or close
Old 03-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Emergency Services

makes sense. pretty much what I figured. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.