?'s about buying a used sct x3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
?'s about buying a used sct x3

I've seen several of these for sale on here but I don't know much about them and don't want to end up getting burnt. What do I need to look for when considering a used unit. I know they run around 379.00 new and I guess that price is without custom tunes. If I do buy a used x3 what will I have to do to make it work on my truck. And what would a good price be that would make it worth buying used.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM

as long as the unit is unlocked you can use it, if not it costs $150 to unlock it
Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Make sure it's not locked, and find out how many unlocks it has left. I would say if you pick one up that is unlocked for $150, then your ahead of the ball game. But if it's locked and cost $150, expect to send it to SCT to be unlocked for a fee.

The X2 will only hold custom tunes, has less memory for data logging.

The newer X3's only do custom tunes

The older X3's were sold prior to 7/25/08, and are able to hold custom and canned tunes.

If your buying a used X3 and are unsure which model it is, there are two serial # locations. The sticker on the back will have the serial #, or plug in the device and scroll down to device info to retrieve the serial.

The date is in the serial#, after the first 2 didgits is the date.
Example: X3011608XXXXX----------- X3 is device,, 01/16/08 is the date.

On the serial number, the first 2 letters will indicate which model also. If it starts with X3, then it's the original model that can hold custom and canned. If it starts with XP, then it's a newer model. You also need to make sure you load up the correct Firmware, because with the two different models they take different Firmware. You can read that here.
http://www.sctflash.com/support/inde...eid=37&nav=0,3
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM

I bought it on ebay for 250 and innovative sells 3 custom tunes for 160, they ask you for your tunner number, and your truck strategy number, you plug the tunner and it gives you the strategy number.

you get to choose your tunes;
Xtreme Race- 420-440rwhp/760-780rwtq - Converter locked in all gears.
Xtreme Street- 420-430rwhp/730-760rwtq- Not recommended for towing.
Street- 400rwhp/670rwtq- Tow up to 10k lbs.
Tow- 310rwhp/560rwtq- Towing over 10k lbs up to the maximum of the
truck.
Economy- Mileage program only.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM

So what are the unlocks.

Also am I correct in thinking that if I buy a new one I still pay extra for the custom tunes.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesco4 View Post
So what are the unlocks.

Also am I correct in thinking that if I buy a new one I still pay extra for the custom tunes.

Thanks
The unlocks as to what i know is the remaining times you have to program another vehicle, for example lets say you have two trucks, you tune one and decide to tune the other instead, you have to set the first truck to stock and then tune the other truck, but now you have used two unlocks. You can do that back and forth and only 2 unlocks will be used, unless you tune another truck.

And yes the x3 comes with 3 canned tunes, but to get custom tunes you pay another 165.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 PM

You can also go to Innovative Diesels page and they sell the tunners with custom tunes but i cant remember the price, you can check there...
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikishaka View Post
The unlocks as to what i know is the remaining times you have to program another vehicle, for example lets say you have two trucks, you tune one and decide to tune the other instead, you have to set the first truck to stock and then tune the other truck, but now you have used two unlocks. You can do that back and forth and only 2 unlocks will be used, unless you tune another truck.

And yes the x3 comes with 3 canned tunes, but to get custom tunes you pay another 165.
You are correct on the locks, lock means that the current owner need to return his vehicle back to stock before you can use it. When you hook it up to your truck, it will recognize a different VIN number and use up a unlock. So if the seller has 0 unlocks left, you need to send it to SCT so they can reset it for a fee.

The new X3 models that start with XP in the serial number only do custom tunes. Only the original X3 that start with X3 in the serial number, are capable of canned and custom tunes like the SF3 is.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
You are correct on the locks, lock means that the current owner need to return his vehicle back to stock before you can use it. When you hook it up to your truck, it will recognize a different VIN number and use up a unlock. So if the seller has 0 unlocks left, you need to send it to SCT so they can reset it for a fee.

The new X3 models that start with XP in the serial number only do custom tunes. Only the original X3 that start with X3 in the serial number, are capable of canned and custom tunes like the SF3 is.
And whats the difference on the x3 and sf3? as to what ive heard i thought the x3 was better but dont really know why?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikishaka View Post
And whats the difference on the x3 and sf3? as to what ive heard i thought the x3 was better but dont really know why?
I might have confused you, prior to 07/25/08 the SF3 never existed, SCT only had the X2 and X3. These original X3's were able to hold canned and custom tunes.

Then SCT decided to offer a product for those who just wanted to run custom tunes. So they decided to change the name of the original X3's to SF3 (canned &custom), and give the new device an old name-- "X3", the "new" X3 is only able to do custom tunes.

SCT should have just left the name alone on the X3's, and gave the new device the SF3 name. It gets confusion for the public.

To answer your question about the current models, the SF3 does canned and custom tunes. The X3 only does custom tunes. Most people will tell you the X3 is better because after you try a custom tune you will almost never use a canned tune again So why waste your money on a SF3 that usually isn't sold with the custom tunes, you need to buy custom tunes separately. Where as the X3 is usually sold at the same price as the SF3, but that price includes 3 custom tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.