best custom tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best custom tunes

Hi I'm new to the tuning of a diesel and I want to give my 07 F-350 with a manual 6 speed a little wake up along with some better fuel mileage after doing some research I've decided to go with a SCT livewire so I can monitor the motor. But now I'm stuck with who is good for custom tuning so far I come across Innovative diesel and MorePowerTuning.com both supply three custom tunes with the product but MorePower is offering the unit for about 130.00 cheaper. Anyone have any suggestions I'm stuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Some say to stay away from the livewire as its big and bulky... If anything look at the TSX they offer its a touch screen

get the SCT X3 and an edge insight monitor, i put a small list of custom tuners with all awesome tunes, cant go wrong with any of them

Truck Source Diesel
Quick Tricks Automotive performance
Innovative Diesel
Gearhead Automotive Performance
KEM Performance
Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msla465 View Post
Hi I'm new to the tuning of a diesel and I want to give my 07 F-350 with a manual 6 speed a little wake up along with some better fuel mileage after doing some research I've decided to go with a SCT livewire so I can monitor the motor. But now I'm stuck with who is good for custom tuning so far I come across Innovative diesel and MorePowerTuning.com both supply three custom tunes with the product but MorePower is offering the unit for about 130.00 cheaper. Anyone have any suggestions I'm stuck
I bought the MPT tuner off of eBay. While they are willing to work with you on the tunes, their shift points never worked on my truck. I ended up buying custom tunes from ID. If I had it to do over I would have bought from them first, but that is just me. Also, ID seems to be less aggressive in the throttle when easing into the gas, while MPT goes from 0 to WAO in the first quarter of the throttle. ID is easier to drive for me. I am running their extreme street as my daily driver.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
Some say to stay away from the livewire as its big and bulky... If anything look at the TSX they offer its a touch screen

get the SCT X3 and an edge insight monitor, i put a small list of custom tuners with all awesome tunes, cant go wrong with any of them

Truck Source Diesel
Quick Tricks Automotive performance
Innovative Diesel
Gearhead Automotive Performance
KEM Performance
DP tuning
one more
Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just want to add to pizzapig and mewalker0 said, with all the tunes available from diffrent tune writers, when you compare HP/TQ numbers on the comparable tunes, the rating will be close to each other depending on the mods done, truck year, and stradegy. Most of the main custom tune writers have the HP/TQ numbers within 20hp of each other that you really can't tell the difference with the butt meter.

The high HP tunes also have different shift and driving characteristic to them. Some lock the TC early, then others. Some have a light switch effect. Some have the power at the lower rpm, while others have it on the top end, and anything in between.

It comes down to what do you want the tune to do for you and your driving style.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
You can also buy the sct used.

You can not go wrong in the above list

How do you use your truck?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I mostly use it to travel to and from work but every now and then I'll tow my tractor with it which is about 5000#'s including the trailer. My wife is nagging me for ways to get better fuel economy which I like also but I dont wanna spend a fortune to get there, diesel here today is 3.99 /gal. The SCT Touch Screen Xtreme I don't see an option for EGT probe on it
Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and Pizza Pig my truck is almost a spitting image of yours except I have the FX-4 stickers on mine.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM

I went with sct and an edge insight. I dont know how much the sct touch is but the insight is cheaper than 4 or 5 gauges. And you can get the insight used which is cheaper.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Just want to add to pizzapig and mewalker0 said, with all the tunes available from diffrent tune writers, when you compare HP/TQ numbers on the comparable tunes, the rating will be close to each other depending on the mods done, truck year, and stradegy. Most of the main custom tune writers have the HP/TQ numbers within 20hp of each other that you really can't tell the difference with the butt meter.

The high HP tunes also have different shift and driving characteristic to them. Some lock the TC early, then others. Some have a light switch effect. Some have the power at the lower rpm, while others have it on the top end, and anything in between.

It comes down to what do you want the tune to do for you and your driving style.

true, BUT he has a 6 speed

Quote:
and Pizza Pig my truck is almost a spitting image of yours except I have the FX-4 stickers on mine.
lets see it! i removed my ugly white 4x4 stickers, that picture is the day i brought it home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.