Holy hell Airdogs are confusing.. help.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Holy hell Airdogs are confusing.. help..

Ok.... here is the deal... i previously cleared a coolant filter with my dealer to keep me under warranty.... a couple weeks ago while towing the toyhauler back from dunes, i lost 2 injectors for no apparent reason..... dealer was cool and fixed it... but the hassle was off the charts... a big rig tow'd the truck and fifth wheel etc... then getting the truck to and from dealer etc etc... I was/am going to wait till my warranty runs out before i planned on building a bulletproof tow machine listed in my future mods in sig... but after that hassle, i want to do whatever i can to prevent being stranded with my family on the side of interstate for hours and the associated headache.... So i got a fs2500 system to keep the oil extra clean, and now im looking to get the airdog setup for extra filtration for the injectors, and to support future mods... i started doing the research and there is like 10 diff models, 100/150/DF? say dont replace stock pump, 165 says it does.... i just want most reliability and to support the mods i have listed in sig in future. I like the idea of still having stock pump and filters for redundancy, if that is how it works? ie if the airdog fails, the stock pump could still get me home? but honestly I have done no previous research on this..... I know plenty of you guys know exactly which ones work and which ones dont, so please, help me out.....

thanks!

PS... i plan on installing a fuel pressure gauge before i ever run the airdog, I will have to reaserch where do you port for the reading? id imagine a 1/8th tap'd fuel filter like the ones on ebay is not a good place for pressure? or is it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The AirDog is a good choice. You will want a Raptor pump or the original AirDog. Either will be installed between the HFCM and the tank. They basically feed your stock pump. ideally you would want to install a sump like a Hillmann or Truck Source Diesel makes one too. Those will allow you to keep your stock pump in place along with the Ford filter.
Also look into a regulated return system. The stock regulator, regulates the fuel before it enters the heads. A regulated return will bolt into the rear ports of the heads (which are currently plugged), then go to the adjustable (Aeromotive) regulator, then to the tank return line. This regulates the fuel pressure after the heads and will ensure you have enough fuel to the hungry injectors.

The AirDog II is the system that eliminates the stock pump and has a built in regulator. Alot more money involved in that one and you would still want to do some sort of return at the back of the heads to take full advantage.

Personally, I agree with you on wanting to keep the stock pump. Fuelab and Aeromotive also make pumps that can accomodate your needs. First and foremost, get a fuel pressure gauge and monitor it. Keep the pressure between 45 and 70. If it drops below 45 you run the risk of damaging injectors. The test port at the small filter on the motor is the best place to monitor it. It is a M12 1.5 thread port. You could goto a hose shop and just tell them you want a M12 1.5 male adapter to a 45 degree fitting (helps get around crap) to a 40 inch hose with a 1/8" NPT female on the opposite end. Should run you less than $50.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I understand the desire for redundancy and all but I really prefer it simple. I took my HFCM off of my truck and replaced it with an Airdog II DF165. I has it's own regulator and fuel return and the fuel lines from the Airdog plug right into the stock fuel lines for the return and the fuel feed. It replaces the tank pickup line.

The original Airdog goes in between the tank and the HFCM so that the HFCM doesn't have to draw fuel from the tank. with a little creativity, so additional fuel line some ball valves you could plumb it so that if one fails you get out and throw some valves this way and that way and eliminate one pump or the other from the chain.

On the idea of a regulated return off the back of the heads you now have a second regulated return in the system. The stock at the fuel bowl or the new rr. They are going to fight each other so you have to set one to a higher bypass psi than the other. Which ever is set lower is going to regulate and the other is for show. In this case since the new RR is adjustable and the one on the fuel bowl is not really it would still tend to do the regulating unless you do something about blocking off that regulator. I'm not sold that it is worth the effort.

Also sumping the fuel tank creates a scenario where a ruptured line will drain the tank dry and in the event of an accident and a fire is a catastrophic failure. There isn't a right or wrong answer here, just options and preferences.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 PM

Mitch is right, im still on the fence of doing a RR or a ADII, after doing an ADII install on my brothers duramax today, im leaning towards that route... but make sure to get rid of the dead head with a crossover when doing the ADII
Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

the regulated return. When installing it, you remove the return line from the fuel bowl and connect your regulated line to it. Then on the filter bowl, you add an oring to the fpr spring to prevent it from opening and just cap it off. You are left with one fuel regulator. If I were to go with an ad2, I would run a regulated return without the regulator. Also bypassing the stock fpr. That way fuel pressure is always regulated after the heads and at the ad2.

Make sense?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM

i appreciate the advice, but it is still very confusing..... the terms you are using and what not..... ill buy whatever system suits my needs best, the initial cost doesn't meant as much to me, as just long term reliability.... just let me know what your recommend and what to expect on the install. Mitch has never steered me wrong before... so the airdog II 165 that replaces stock pump is the way to go? i dont want to have to drop the stock tank or mess with all that... im looking for fairly easy install... so please keep the advice coming, but dumb it down to my level.... sorry, and thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

No, Mitch is correct. The AD2 is a great pump, easy to install and will fuel whatever injectors you want to throw at it.
The concern is the dead heading in the heads and possibly starving the rear most injectors of fuel. Stock setup, fuel is pumped through the filters and then to the heads. It stops there at the back of the heads. Now the fuel pressure regulator (which is in the small filter housing), is nothing more than a spring and a plunger seat. Once the pressure is reached that is determined by the spring, that plunger will crack open and the excess fuel is diverted back towards the tank. So it is recirculating the fuel before the heads.
The regulated return. On the back of the heads, there are two plugs in the same spot as the fuel inlets on the front of the heads. By attaching lines to those rear ports, then to an adjustable regulator and routing the return to the tank via the return line at the fuel bowl, you are constantly flowing fresh fuel through the heads and eliminating the dead heading. What I mean at the fuel bowl is you put an oring in the fuel pressure regulator to prevent it from opening, remove the tank return line from the filter housing, cap off the fuel bowl filter where you removed that line, connect your adjustable regulator return line to the tank return line you just removed.
Ideally with an AD2, since it is regulated at the pump, you would want to install the regulated return as described above but omit the adjustable regulator and just run the lines. The AD2 has an adjustable regulator built in.
The regulated return is basically insurance for your injectors or the crossover/return if using the AD2.

It all depends on what you feel comfortable with. The AD2 alone is a great choice and an upgrade. The twin pump setup is another great choice but requires a little custom work and allows for redundancy. The sump is really not necessary at all, but it helps with fuel delivery by allowing the pressure of the fuel above it to force it towards the pump instead of the pump sucking, then pushing.

Here is where I am with my truck and the plans. It is a daily driver. Just finished head studs, and installed 190s in it. Installed the upgraded Ford spring in the fuel pressure regulator. My pressure is at 68psi normal cruising and idling. Half throttle for passing it drops to 60psi. I am running a completely stock setup for a fuel system other that upgraded banjo bolts. I would love to install an AD2 and the crossover/return line. But for the price of it all would be around $1000. The Raptor pump and the regulated return would be about $800 and will achieve the same results with the ability to run on just one pump should the other fail. The AD2 also has the added benefit of deaerating the fuel. Crap, I think I just convinced myself to go with the AD2 and crossover/return just for the fact that it remove the air from the fuel helping and contributing to the longevity of those very expensive injectors.

Wow, that was pretty long winded...but i hope you sort of understand. If not, just get and AirDog2, it is easy to install and will give you plenty of clean, air-free fuel.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 AM

There is no problem with starving the rear injectors with fuel with the AD2 with out a regulated return or crossover line. If the pressure is there there is fuel at the back of the heads. Mine is 60 at idle and 58 at WOT.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:54 AM

i would go AD over the others for the filtration and air/water separation... read initial post... my biggest concern of all is protecting and prolonging injector life....

Dudes, when i look online at a an AD165, it says simple install, just snaps onto the fuel lines.... they dont mention all the stuff about regulated returns and crossovers... im not looking to do all that if its not necessary? thanks for the help
Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
i would go AD over the others for the filtration and air/water separation... read initial post... my biggest concern of all is protecting and prolonging injector life....

Dudes, when i look online at a an AD165, it says simple install, just snaps onto the fuel lines.... they dont mention all the stuff about regulated returns and crossovers... im not looking to do all that if its not necessary? thanks for the help

A AD2 will be fine with out crossover or regulated return trust me. It is a very simple instal. took me a couple hours to instal mine. Hardest part was getting the quick connect fitting off the top of the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.