2 questions on SCT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
roustabout04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jena La
Posts: 146
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to roustabout04
2 questions on SCT

hey guys. still new here so bear with me.
ok my sct 3015 came in and i put it on the truck. first question: which tune is hotter? performance or street?
second question: how do i go about getting the looney tune for it. i looked on innovative and cant seem to navigate properly i guess. anyway i was looking for this eric guy but the only email address they give is strictly for sales?
so there are my 2 questions. oh btw.... you cant beat the sound a 5 inch straight pipe makes on the 6 liters. maybe a lil overkill on size but i wouldnt trade it for nothing.
one more question. how do i know what factory strategy tune i have for my pcm. just got the reflash done yesterday. big difference just by doing that.
thanks in advance.
roustabout04 is offline  
post #2 of 11 Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 
Lilpooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,787
Thanks: 95
Thanked 195 Times in 157 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout04 View Post
hey guys. still new here so bear with me.
ok my sct 3015 came in and i put it on the truck. first question: which tune is hotter? performance or street?
second question: how do i go about getting the looney tune for it. i looked on innovative and cant seem to navigate properly i guess. anyway i was looking for this eric guy but the only email address they give is strictly for sales?
so there are my 2 questions. oh btw.... you cant beat the sound a 5 inch straight pipe makes on the 6 liters. maybe a lil overkill on size but i wouldnt trade it for nothing.
one more question. how do i know what factory strategy tune i have for my pcm. just got the reflash done yesterday. big difference just by doing that.
thanks in advance.
The canned performance tune is hotter.

Looney tune is from Vivian at---http://www.quicktricksauto.com/

Eric is Innovative diesel and has the xtream tunes

To find your stradegy, plug in the SCT to the truck, scroll down to "vehicle info", get stradegy.

If you gonna run the hotter tunes, GET GAUGES!! Things get hot real fast. Along with a fuel psi gauge.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ'S,QT,GH,ID. Gryphon FICM tunes, ARP studs,Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,AD2,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,4" turbo back straight pipe,S&Bintake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Lilpooh is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-24-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
roustabout04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jena La
Posts: 146
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to roustabout04
so which one gives more power? the looney or the xtream tunes?
roustabout04 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
troid123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,671
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to troid123
I'm sure you will get many different opinions on this but I would say they are both pretty equal.

2006 F250 CC Short Bed King Ranch 4x4 (109,000 miles)
4" Turbo Back w/ 6" Tip
SCT x3 w/ Custom Tunes From DJ's/Innovative
03 turbo
Eclipse Navigation/DVD/CD/MP3 w/ Rear Camera
Rear DVD/MP3/CD Entertainment System
Escort Passport SR7 Built In Radar Detection System
K & N Cold Air Intake w/ S&B Replacement Filter
Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover
Nitto Trail Grappler LT295/70R18
***SOLD 10/31/11***

New Truck:
2011 Ford F-150 Limited 6.2L Super Crew
troid123 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 
Lilpooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,787
Thanks: 95
Thanked 195 Times in 157 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout04 View Post
so which one gives more power? the looney or the xtream tunes?
This all depends on who you ask. Different year trucks with different stradegies run better than some. They even say that the '03-early '04's ran faster than the late '04-'07's. My own personal experience is by the seat of the pants, my xtream race feels just a little fasted than the looney wild, but these tunes also have diffrent shift points that give the xtream race a faster feel. Then there is also Gearhead's SRL++ that guys are running with great power.


The power level will also depend if you are studded or not. No matter who you pick for your tunes, everybody has there favorite, and the advertised HP/TQ ratings are within a couple numbers of the comparable tunes. It boils down to personal preference and driving style.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ'S,QT,GH,ID. Gryphon FICM tunes, ARP studs,Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,AD2,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,4" turbo back straight pipe,S&Bintake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Lilpooh is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
roustabout04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jena La
Posts: 146
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to roustabout04
ok thanks guys i do appreciate the info. im looking for the most power i can get without blowing it up or lifting heads. thats the only thing i havent done is stud it. but its an 05 and i heard that 03-04 were the problem yrs??? so honestly do i still need to stud it? ive already done the egr delete. figured that since i fixed that before it got bad that i fixed the major issue of what causes the gaskets to fail and the heads to lift off.
roustabout04 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 05 is currently in the shop getting studded after blowing the HG's. As far as I can see HG's are not an if but a when, especially if you run tunes.
49coe is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

 
Lilpooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,787
Thanks: 95
Thanked 195 Times in 157 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout04 View Post
ok thanks guys i do appreciate the info. im looking for the most power i can get without blowing it up or lifting heads. thats the only thing i havent done is stud it. but its an 05 and i heard that 03-04 were the problem yrs??? so honestly do i still need to stud it? ive already done the egr delete. figured that since i fixed that before it got bad that i fixed the major issue of what causes the gaskets to fail and the heads to lift off.
Yes,the 03-04's had some issues but those issues can be resolved. Since you have a '05, you have some issues to work out also, like the STC fitting.


Headgasket failure are usually caused by two issues. The first is when the oil cooler fails, causing the egr cooler to fail, then coolant gets into the cylinders. The other is running a high HP tunes that are not set up to run with the stock head bolts.

You need to find out if your oil cooler is still OK, even though you did the egr cooler delete, if your oil cooler is blocked up, this will not allow the coolant passages in the oil cooler to cool your oil, and this may cause total engine failure when the plastic parts inside the oil filter housing melts.


With owning a 6.0, you need to get something to monitor the key engine temps and pressures. Whether it be a digital monitor or analog gauges, your gonna need to monitor, EOT,ECT,EGT,Fuel psi and if you own a '03-04 a boost gauge.


Before you start adding power, you should start setting up your truck to be reliable so you can enjoy the extra power, instead of being in the shop to be fixed because you chose to ignore the warning signs.

Start reading as much as you can, not only the threads on how to add power,but also the threads that give info on reliability. here is some links to get you started.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

What to look for when buying a used 6.0L


Click this link, then the link provided to give you info on how parts work on the 6.0
some info on the 6.0 found by 099f350

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ'S,QT,GH,ID. Gryphon FICM tunes, ARP studs,Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,AD2,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,4" turbo back straight pipe,S&Bintake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Lilpooh is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
roustabout04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jena La
Posts: 146
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to roustabout04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
The canned performance tune is hotter.

Looney tune is from Vivian at---http://www.quicktricksauto.com/

Eric is Innovative diesel and has the xtream tunes

To find your stradegy, plug in the SCT to the truck, scroll down to "vehicle info", get stradegy.

If you gonna run the hotter tunes, GET GAUGES!! Things get hot real fast. Along with a fuel psi gauge.
ok im getting 2 strategies on my truck.
#1-VXCF9DA
#2-TQCK0CD

What do these mean. I just had the PCM etc reflashed to fords newest for the 6.0s...
roustabout04 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-03-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
roustabout04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jena La
Posts: 146
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to roustabout04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Yes,the 03-04's had some issues but those issues can be resolved. Since you have a '05, you have some issues to work out also, like the STC fitting.


Headgasket failure are usually caused by two issues. The first is when the oil cooler fails, causing the egr cooler to fail, then coolant gets into the cylinders. The other is running a high HP tunes that are not set up to run with the stock head bolts.

You need to find out if your oil cooler is still OK, even though you did the egr cooler delete, if your oil cooler is blocked up, this will not allow the coolant passages in the oil cooler to cool your oil, and this may cause total engine failure when the plastic parts inside the oil filter housing melts.


With owning a 6.0, you need to get something to monitor the key engine temps and pressures. Whether it be a digital monitor or analog gauges, your gonna need to monitor, EOT,ECT,EGT,Fuel psi and if you own a '03-04 a boost gauge.


Before you start adding power, you should start setting up your truck to be reliable so you can enjoy the extra power, instead of being in the shop to be fixed because you chose to ignore the warning signs.

Start reading as much as you can, not only the threads on how to add power,but also the threads that give info on reliability. here is some links to get you started.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

What to look for when buying a used 6.0L


Click this link, then the link provided to give you info on how parts work on the 6.0
some info on the 6.0 found by 099f350
Many thanks to you lilpooh. I do appreciate it alot.
roustabout04 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome