how much boost for modified truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how much boost for modified truck?

i have a 2006 f350 auto 4x4 182k . ive read on the forums here that people with upgraded trucks are making around 30-35 psi of boost. My truck has a air filter 4" turbo back exhaust and sct tuner and i only make around 20 psi max. (according to dash gauge) which seems to work fine.
i was wondering if i should be making more boost?
and will i notice a difference in power or anything with more boost? and if i can make more boost SAFELY without having to worry about head studs or anything like that?
would adding a boost fooler help? ive read that if you have a tuner you dont need a boost fooler is that true?

thanks
Brendon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

more boost does not always = more power. Stock turbo works best at 25psi anything above that it is less efficient.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon2 View Post
i have a 2006 f350 auto 4x4 182k . ive read on the forums here that people with upgraded trucks are making around 30-35 psi of boost. My truck has a air filter 4" turbo back exhaust and sct tuner and i only make around 20 psi max. (according to dash gauge) which seems to work fine.
i was wondering if i should be making more boost? Depends on if you have canned tunes on the SCT or custom tunes (and who wrote them)and will i notice a difference in power or anything with more boost? Maybe -- depends on how much fuel is being added and again, who wrote your tune. As mentioned above, more boost doesn't always equal more power. and if i can make more boost SAFELY without having to worry about head studs or anything like that? Probably not. Higher boost adds much more risk to blowing your head gaskets. would adding a boost fooler help? No, they don't do anything for a 6.0. ive read that if you have a tuner you dont need a boost fooler is that true? True
thanks
Brendon
Answers are in red above
Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Snake is pretty much right on. I wouldn't worry about your boost numbers. Alot of 6.0 guys see roughly 20 on their factory gauges. Every truck is different. Personally mine will hit 25-27 stock, but that doesn't necessarily mean I am making any more power than a guy hitting 20-22.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
20lbs of boost pushes my mule down the road just fine. I can hit higher boost numbers if I wanted.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If I mash mine to the floor I will see 20-22 psi. If I am in a high gear and low rpm and just roll into the throttle without it downshifting I see 30-32 depending on weather temp outside.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 PM

thanks for the help guys. i figured the stock turbo wasnt good for much more boost before it looses effeciency or i loose my head gaskets lol. i got the "custom" tunes from innovative diesel. i have economy tow and street. im not sure how "custom" they really are but they work good, really woke the truck up
Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yep, I've pegged my 35 PSI gauge on the interstate rolling into the throttle (then popped an intercooler boot off ) but WOT from a 30 MPH roll I won't see over 28.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

MY THEORY ON WHY YOU SEE MORE BOOST AT LOW RPM AND HIGHT LOAD IS THAT THE TURBO IS ONLY CAPABLE OF MOVING SO MUCH AIR AND WHEN YOUR ENGINE ( WICH IS BASICALLY AN AIR PUMP). IS AT A HIGH RPM THE TURBO CANT MOVE ENOUGH AIR TO MANTAIN A HIGH BOOST PRESSURE BUT AT LOW RPM IT CAN SO IT PRESSURES UP AGAINST THE LOWER DEMAND FOR AIR, CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.