Valair or South Bend clutch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Valair or South Bend clutch

So its time for a new clutch. The Valair ceramic/kevlar clutch is a good towing clutch and rated for 500hp for $1018. South Bend has a streetable double disc clutch rated for 750hp for $1800. I tow about 16,000 pounds about once or twice a month. My truck on extreme street may have about 550hp once I get 175cc injectors and powermax turbo. I guess the question is, will the South Bend clutch last almost twice as long? Anybody running a double disc and how does it perform?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You'll probably hear crickets on this.... Not too many 6 spds around. Subscribed
Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

I went with the Valair kevlar/cermic clutch rated at 500hp. But then I just learned that South Bend does have the same clutch for about $125 less. I just couldn't find it on their website. For some reason, their clutch is only rated at 400hp.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Your going to have to let us know how you like that clutch. I have the south bends kevlar/cermic 475hp and its pretty grabby, but I like it for the most part. I holds good and I've never had a problem with towing.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

The Valair clutch was nice. Not too grabby and easy to shift. Unfortunately, it didn't last too long. The good news is that Valair is giving me a big discount on their double disc organic clutch. I was going to go with Southbend but I can't refuse the offer Valair is giving me.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 PM

Let me Put it this way. I called and talk to some guys at valair and he told me he would not personally buy a clutch for the 6.0 from them. They don't sell many and they haven't got all the bugs out of them. Since the company told me not to buy their product I sure as heck wasn't gonna buy from them.

Southbend is a good clutch. They are a tad grabby but overall for performance/pulling they are great clutches. Now if you don't do either they will never outlast a factory clutch. I opted to have a place here that builds custom racing clutches build me one. Also if you have a dual mass fly wheel it needs to be replace with a Solid.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:24 PM

Valair or South Bend clutch

Well I currently have like 400 miles on my valair ceramic dual disc so far so good not to grabby and drives pretty nice it's quiet too. Thing weighed like 125 pounds.

Only pic I got.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's things like this that are driving me to an automatic swap. My stock clutch seems to be holding for now but I dont want to spend 1200 on a clutch and be dissapointed.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_ace View Post
It's things like this that are driving me to an automatic swap. My stock clutch seems to be holding for now but I dont want to spend 1200 on a clutch and be dissapointed.
i keep tellin ya lets do a auto swap!!!! be faster too!

i personally like valair. i deal with both southbend and valair. to me you pay alot for the southbend name
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM

I've never personally ran a valair. A guy I work with has a mild built 7.3 (zf6) and got a double disk valair and it lasted a year. When I called to get some details and pricing they told me they wouldn't sell me one of their clutches for my 6.0. I appreciated their strait forward honesty. The thing is he told me is that their are a handful of 6spds out there and their clutches aren't perfected as much as the southbends. I also think that your buying the brand name when you purchase a southbend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.