Is this a sign of turbo vanes sticking????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Is this a sign of turbo vanes sticking?????

So i was on the on-ramp to the expressway behind some buick about to merge onto the highway doing 45mph, when i checked my mirror i seen a semi hauling tail and im not one to try to tick those guys off or get in there way so i gave it some throttle to get going and change lanes to clear the way and when i gave it gas it didnt have alot of power and i look down and have 0psi on the boost gauge. as i kept watching it, i was still kinda into the throttle then, boom back up to 8-10ish psi cruising.

is this a sign my vanes were stuck for a second and me giving it throttle unstuck them. i have no problem blowing the system out to break up some of the carbon build up. i love getting into the throttle and hearing the rumble so thats why i dont know why they are sticking
i have no smoke switch, hardly ever blow smoke.
let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like it to me. Run sum cetane booster if you haven't already. A can of seafoam in the fuel tank may help also. Maybe run a super heavy dose of cetane booster and get on the highway and really rip into her. That should help break anything up.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM

I'm running centane booster now I will get on it tomorrow heading to school. I might try the heavy centane as long as no one says it's bad or not to do it.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
mine hung up once at like 15psi after i was deployed and truck sat for 7 months.... i pulled over, shut it down, figured a boost hose blew off... couldnt find nothing, fired it back up got on it, no problem ever since. I told that to dealer they said stuck vanes, drive it like you stole it
Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM

the cetane booster wont really do anything if you over dose it, its safe its just a waste of money
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 AM

ok, then i wont do that. lol
Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 AM

Even if you are not blowing black smoke it doesn't mean that you can't have soot build up in the track the vanes run in. If you want to be sure you can disassemble the turbo break it down and clean out the track and the vanes. But before I would do that I would check the the piston that advances and retards the vane is working properly.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM

ya i know it still builds alot of soot, i mean my new exhaust had a pretty good coat the first week i had it.

but i got on it a few times today and it never had any problems. i couldnt get it to do it again. if it happens again im gonna break the turbo down and do some cleaning on it.
thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 PM

maybe try 405 Fire Power additive. it's one of the strongest fuel additives out there. i use a qt a year just to keep the fuel system clean. also maybe REVx or HSS could help. but be careful because when your turbo sticks it can over boost and pop the head gaskets and over spin your turbo. also some turbos can be cleaned depending on the state of how stuck the veins really are. but yours sounds like an underboost situation... have you checked for any codes?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Ya. I tried pulling codes. It came up with p0341 Which is cam position sensor but I have had that since before my ficm went bad. I told the dealer about it and they basically said don't worry about it. No other codes.

How can the truck overboost. I figured that could only happen if u had a aftermarket turbo. How does a stock turbo overboost. Thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.