STRATEGY CODES VXCF1 , VXCF4 OR VXCF9 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
STRATEGY CODES VXCF1 , VXCF4 OR VXCF9

I'm ready to order some tunes and I have the VXCF4 strategy on my 2005 and hear it's a pretty good strategy but further reading reveals that VXCF1 was better for MPG and power and then I like the function of the VXCF9 being able to sweep the turbo vanes when idling to keep from sticking again but seems to come at a power and MPG loss.

Question: Can you get a 2005 programmed for VXCF1 or was this just for 03-04 model trucks and if you can would this be advisable or are there other considerations to consider before going backwards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM

this is a good question, ill subscribe to this. Can someone put a list together of all the strategies for 05+ trucks? It seems VXCF4 is the hot ticket
Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have VXCF4HB and my 06. I was getting about 19mpg on the highway with it. Overall I was very happy with the truck stock. It may be my imagination, but at idle i can hear my turbo spool up and down, maybe not to an extreme though. It is a good base to start with for sure.

Who is going to reflash your pcm?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
VXCF1 was an 05-06 strategy. And no its not better for mileage
Old 01-25-2011, 04:00 PM

Found this in an old thread. It doesn't describe any characteristics but it breaks down the strategies by MY.

VXAN0 (2003MY)
VXAP1 (2003MY)
VXAP2 (2003MY)
VXBC9 (2004MY)
VXCF0 (2005MY)
VXCF1 (2006MY)
VXCF4 (2005,2006,2007MY)
VXCF5 (2005,2006,2007MY)

VXBC9 is what's in my '04. Anyone know any good or bad about this flash? Well that was what was in my truck before studs. My FICM was fried by my bad batteries and a cold start attempt before I took her to the shop. They replaced it and for all I know I don't have any tunes now when I get it back.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM

According to PHP, they roll back to vxcf1 of vxcf4. vxcf7 and vxcf9 "suck". Those are the words right from Corey's keyboard.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 PM

i have not had my truck flashed because it already has VXCF4 and my tunes mesh great with it.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM

OK, I've decided to go ahead and order some tunes for my current strategy of VXCF4 which sounds to be as good as any for the 2005 MY and Dave has already told me a couple times "Dontfukwidit"
Old 01-26-2011, 04:04 AM

Hi,

Here are my $.02

VXCF is the family of computers and all F-Series 2005-2007 will have a VXCF strategy (the Excursions are different). However, what determines your computer code/tear tag, for custom tuning, is the last 3 digits/letters. There are good and bad strategies where some accept power more readily than others.

What is a reflash? A reflash is a correction Ford has made in the computer that is causing them warranty $$. The higher the 5th digit, the newer the strategy. In the case of the VXCF9 - Ford introduced this strategy to try to protect the FICM because they have had to replace so many! Whether it does what it's supposed to, or not, I don't know and I don't think Ford knows either. I spoke with a gentleman last week who has been running the VXCF9 for 1 year, 1 1/2 years and his FICM just went out

As far as whether it's a good code depends on what you had before (complete 7 numbers/letters) and what you become after the flash. There are good VXCF4, 7 and 9 and there are bad. I wouldn't even consider going back to a 0 or 1.

As far as fuel mileage and hp, all the trucks are different. I don't believe the older strategies, in general, give you more hp or save more fuel - that pretty much depends on you and your truck.

Ironmover, your list is perfect.

Thanks,
Vivian
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a 06 that had VXCF1D6 strategy. I had a oil cooler going bad and had to take it into the Ford dealership. When I picked it up they told me they replaced the oil cooler and said there was a problem with my FICM and changed it out also. So with the new FICM I had the latest strategy VXCF9H7. My mileage dropped about 2-3 mpg. I called and got new tunes hoping it would get some of my mileage back but the truck just didn't seem to run as good as it did with the old strategy. I have been trying to read every post possible on rolling back to a older strategy to see if it helps with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.