exhaust suggestions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
exhaust suggestions...

so i have a 2003 f250 bla bla bla...the one in my sig. it has a 4" MBRP turbo back no kitty just muffler. its a 03 and the turbo screams. its plenty loud for me. this i a video from a while ago its the only one i have that you can here the turbo..

im considering buying a 2004 f250 Harley truck. dont know if it is a late build or an 03 turbo here is a pic

anyway i was thinking about straight-piping it. of its a 04 turbo it shouldn't be as obnoxious right? i saw this video i dont know what year it is but it actually sounds quieter straight piped????

there is a 5" straight piped 07 running around town and it doesn't whistle like my 03 and mine has a muffler!!! what im getting at is i like the deep tone of 5" straight pipe but i want it to be drivable. people already complain about my 03. i dont really need another truck that is louder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That's my video, it's an early '04. I run the Industrial Injection turbo with the '03 turbine wheel. I recorded it using a cheap camera, with crappy audio. When I did the runs, I only had the drivers side window open which caused alot of wind noise.

If the build date on the '04 is 9/22/03 or earlier than it's a '03 motor. You can also look on the pass side valve cover for a blue engine spec sticker. The early '04's have a round style EGR cooler where as a late '04 are squared off. Then there is the ICP sensor location, the early '04's are behind the turbo, and the late '04's is on the valve cover.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2003KR - I can't comment on the exhaust but I'd do my research on the North Texas Truck shop, there are many mixed reviews. Just FYI.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM

So yours is a early build 04 with 03 wheel. Does it sound better straight piped or with muffler. It seams like it's deeper straight piped but like you said your camera wasn't the best. So would that 04 be louder then my 03 with a muffler??

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mine is completely straight piped with the 03 turbo swap and is a lot louder than yours IMO.

Last edited by dhanna6powerstroke; 01-24-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 AM

03 turbo is the loudest of the 6.0l turbos.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003kingranch View Post
So yours is a early build 04 with 03 wheel. Does it sound better straight piped or with muffler. It seams like it's deeper straight piped but like you said your camera wasn't the best. So would that 04 be louder then my 03 with a muffler??

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Straight pipe vs w/muffler is a matter of personal preference. The straight pipe has a deeper/louder growl to it when the RPM's get about 2k. Under 2k, the straight pipe sounds the same as with just a summit brand muffler. The summit muffler is a straight thru design with louvers on the ID to quiet it down a little.

I made another video using my iPhone 4, but it won't load to YouTube. I'll post it up around 1:30am when I get home from work. This time I left the drivers side windows up to eliminate the road/wind noise.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Here's the video of the '03-early '04 straight pipe. I was keeping the rpm's under 2k, once I get up past 2k it starts to growl more than it does whistle.

I can give two chits if people complain about the whistle, there usually the one who complain about a Harley with open pipes!

Oh Yhea, I've always loved the Harley color scheme!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Here's the video of the '03-early '04 straight pipe. I was keeping the rpm's under 2k, once I get up past 2k it starts to growl more than it does whistle.

I can give two chits if people complain about the whistle, there usually the one who complain about a Harley with open pipes!

Oh Yhea, I've always loved the Harley color scheme!!!

YouTube - '04 straight pipe
well sounds like im going to straight pipe it if i buy it. mine doesn't sound good until <2500 rpm. that straight pipe sounds real good
Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM

well i found out that the build date is 12/04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.