Any tips? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any tips?

I have never been into a 6.0 before but, i am tired of all the issues so I ordered Gauges, black onyx gaskets, studs, turbo rebuild kit, egr delete, swamps 58v hot ficm, coolant bypass, and an alliant injector for #8 (been fighting it for awhile). Installing all of this in next few weeks. Money is not an issue so what else should i fix while i am at it? It's going in an '03 excursion 6.0 Any of your experiences or pics would be very useful. Thanks in advance, Clayton

Last edited by ClaytonG; 01-23-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 PM

Forgot to mention the ex already has a 4" strait pipe, k&n, zoodad, and superchips #1805 (i know superchips suck but it was cheap and i was broke at the time, dam ex wife). Live in Wyoming so everything is a long drive so going for fuel economy, reliability, and wouldn't mind smoking a few chev's and dodges in the future.

Last edited by ClaytonG; 01-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sounds like a good plan but i would spend the cash on an sct for reliability/power/mileage if i were you
Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 PM

an sct with innovative tunes is in the plan for the future, I have been looking at them for awhile after reading what everone has said on here. Also, the head gaskets will be done with cab on. Should i replace the oil cooler as well? How about having the heads rebuilt? Thank you for replying

Last edited by ClaytonG; 01-23-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Banned

Do the coolant flush before you do anything else. I wouldnt touch the headgaskets until they go. There are plenty of guys who are using tunes on stock headgaskets.

The primary cause of all the engine troubles in the 6.0 is the gold coolant clogging the oil cooler. Replace that, get you some sort of way to monitor or ect/eot and if they're within specs, call it a day and save your time/money.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM

Talking

i know i need the eot gauge too, your right. when i do the egr delete i was wanting to put in the elc coolant but have no idea where to get it. I was thinking of adding the eot and fuel pressure gauge over the mirror, i understand that eot and ect should not be more than 10 or 20 degrees apart? is it worth the money to buy more gauges? BE HONEST! Thanks guys for all your help I really do love this forum! All the info!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonG View Post
i know i need the eot gauge too, your right. when i do the egr delete i was wanting to put in the elc coolant but have no idea where to get it. I was thinking of adding the eot and fuel pressure gauge over the mirror, i understand that eot and ect should not be more than 10 or 20 degrees apart? is it worth the money to buy more gauges? BE HONEST! Thanks guys for all your help I really do love this forum! All the info!
Yes you need the gauges. I prefer the Edge Insight because it gives you everything the computer monitors in one package. The EOT/ECT delta is 15*. You can get ELC coolant all over the place. Any shop that works on big diesels or over the road trucks should have it or know where to get it.

Yes if you do all that change the oil cooler too. In fact, if money is not an issue scrap the oem oil cooler and get the BPD air to oil external cooler and be done with it. It is the best solution on the market.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Banned

Call the big diesel shops for the coolant. There is a ton of them everywhere.

If you have the cash then I would replace the oil cooler. If you have more cash then the BPD oil cooler is a design you'll never have to worry about again.

I personally would cut your losses on what gauges you already have and get the insight. I had the triple gauge pod on my 03 and on the 05 I wanted something cleaner. I got the insight and in that one little screen I can watch up to 8 parameters. There is no fuel pressure monitor as of now but from what I understand they're working on one.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if money is not an issue then do the studs they give you the warm and fuzzy feeling. Switch coolant as mentioned and just rebuild the oil cooler for safe measure and add the coolant filter. Everything you mentioned would be good to invest in.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:06 PM

The reason I went with the gauges is this is going in my wifes excursion. She wanted the gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.