SCT???????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT????????

Hello all I am looking into buying an SCT for my truck it is bone stock I will be getting gauges of course and I'm leaning towards the edge insight my big questions... Who for custom tuning I want this only for mileage and towing performance I tow 12000+ often I am going to do the bulletproof kit next year but I am worried about damage between now and then using any kind of tune I drive very easy and don't want a hot rod just a good tow rig daily driver so will I be ok before the new coolers if I watch my gauges and who and what kind of tunes are out there for my needs thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 PM
back to business

Any of the tuners can write you a good tow file.

Innovative, Gearhead, Quicktricks....... those are the 3 I'd recommend. Call them up and talk to them about what you want, go with whoever gives you the warmest fuzziest
Old 01-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you're worried about causing damage, the best thing you can do is flush the crap Ford Gold coolant out and replace it with a good ELC EC-1 rated coolant and add a coolant filter kit. The gold coolant is what causes the oil cooler to get restricted which causes the EGR cooler to blow, head gaskets, etc.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

The coolant flush and bypass filter happens next weekend forgot to mention that I am not new to diesels just the ford I've had several cummins but just got tired of the dodge this new truck is sooooo comfy had it three weeks and almost 3500 miles daily driver 100 plus a day wow diesel fuel is getting spendy
Old 01-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven06 View Post
The coolant flush and bypass filter happens next weekend forgot to mention that I am not new to diesels just the ford I've had several cummins but just got tired of the dodge this new truck is sooooo comfy had it three weeks and almost 3500 miles daily driver 100 plus a day wow diesel fuel is getting spendy
I have a tow tune fron Innovative Diesel and love it. Also have their X-Race tune and use it as a DD file in the Spring and Summer. Get the best fuel mileage out of the race file. Have gotten a best of 20.8 mpg, hand calculated.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 PM
The Silent Service

You should be fine. I'm not able to do the flush, and cooler swap 'till Oct, and I getting ready for my SCT tuner. There's a couple of good tunes from ID (if memory serves) a 50HP tune they rate for towing 8k, without headstuds, and an Unlimited tow tune, (no additional power, other than Turbo and Transmission tuning). These will be the two I'll use for towing, stick with custom tunes for your rig, and keep the tuner up-to-date with your mods and you shouldn't have any issues.

Also, when your not towing, a well written street tune will help with your mileage, as long as you keep off the throttle.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
I have a tow tune fron Innovative Diesel and love it. Also have their X-Race tune and use it as a DD file in the Spring and Summer. Get the best fuel mileage out of the race file. Have gotten a best of 20.8 mpg, hand calculated.
You say in spring and summer do you change your tune in the winter I'm new to forums so I hope I did this quote right so after the flush/filter reliability is a lot better? So running the tunes driving sensibly I should be ok just can't have the truck down
Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Colo dually are you in Colorado I'm outta Carson right
Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven06 View Post
You say in spring and summer do you change your tune in the winter I'm new to forums so I hope I did this quote right so after the flush/filter reliability is a lot better? So running the tunes driving sensibly I should be ok just can't have the truck down
I run the stock tune in colder weather just because the higher HP tunes use a lot of fuel when cold so my mileage suffers. I only drive about 5 miles to work so I let it idle a lot in the late Fall and Winter.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Also the tow tune rated for 8k w/o studs I tow a bit more with some of the horse stock trailers are there tunes for this as well I will do studs if I have to just waiting for a little before I take the cab off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.