Bolt on mod tips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bolt on mod tips

Okay guys i'm new to the forum and new to the diesel truck world period. I have a 06 F350 King ranch. I'm looking to do some simple Bolt on mods and was looking for some opinions. I want to do exhaust and cold air intake right off the bat. What are the advantages/disadvantages of 4" compared to 5" from turbo. Can i legally cut the cat out? Also whats the best cold air intake for the money i have always used K&N.... Also if there are any other mods i should do i'm open for suggestions!

Thanx,
Vinnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The stock airbox is good to 500hp. As for 4" vs. 5"...pretty much gonna be the difference in tone.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
Okay guys i'm new to the forum and new to the diesel truck world period. I have a 06 F350 King ranch. I'm looking to do some simple Bolt on mods and was looking for some opinions. I want to do exhaust and cold air intake right off the bat. What are the advantages/disadvantages of 4" compared to 5" from turbo. Can i legally cut the cat out? Also whats the best cold air intake for the money i have always used K&N.... Also if there are any other mods i should do i'm open for suggestions!

Thanx,
Vinnie
"Legally" no you can't but most on here that have done exhaust have the cat deleted including me. 4" is plenty big for the exhaust. The intake I would leave stock. It flows plenty of air to support 500 HP and filtes a lot better than most aftermarket systems.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM

for emmisions leave in the cat, if not then take it out, exh and then a SCT and you will fall back in love with your truck
Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
like other people said.. legally you have to have the cat on... but i would say 90% of the people that do an exhaust kit take it out... as far as the intake goes the stock will flow more than enough air... only reason to change it out for a aftermarket CAI is for ease of taking out the filter to clean.... my recommendation is either the S&B or AFE stage 2

were running an exhaust sale right now if your interested

-Raul
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM

I would spend the money on making it bulletproof first , like EGR delete or blockoff , it can be done if you have to leave it on for emissions just a little trickier..
It would be a bummer to make the truck run better only to have the EGR puke coolant and push your HG's
Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Mod Newbie

Get rid of the junk Ford "gold" coolant. Flush the system and fill with a good ELC coolant (EC-1 rated) and install a coolant filter system. I am in the process of getting the coolant filter so I can switch mine over. There are plenty of threads on here about why to switch coolant.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Mod Newbie

This is in PGreenSVT's sig.
Replaced oil cooler still difference in temps
Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM

do exhaust,sct,get some type of gauges most everyone goes with the edge insight and do the ELC coolant and coolant filter
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for all the quick responses guys! So ill prolly nerf the Intake idea and go with a off road exhaust with no cat. so what is the sound diff between 4 and 5"? thanx for the coolant change tip i am going to research into that further. I don't know if i want to to a chip or programmer because i don't want to do anything that is going to hinder the overall life of my truck or tranny. As far as gauges go is digital the way to go? I really appreciate the advice guys i am a noobie so be on the lookout for more questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.