De-Gas Tank Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
De-Gas Tank Question

I noticed one fellow put a inline filter on the hose that goes from the top of the radiator to the de-gas tank , I did this using a clear Fram fuel filter and over a few days time noticed it collecting debris! so it somewhat works ...
But what about the hose that comes off the intake manifold back to the tank ?? does this one actually FLOW coolant back to the tank ? , it is the EGR Coolant De-Airation Port I am talking about ...since coolant Flows thru the manifold that is tapped into by this port ? I'm thinking it Should ? or is it also an "overflow " type setup ??
The reason I am asking is all I can find states > this port is the EGR Deareation Port -this port and hose must not be obstucted to De-gas system or EGR Coolant Filter failure can occur
I did the Egr delete so what would it hurt by putting in a filter system off this port ? I could run this hose to a remote spin on coolant filter / returning back to tank .... if it will work ??
If no one replies .......guess I will just have to start truck and pull hose off de-gas tank and see what happens ?? LOL

Last edited by Rmorgan711; 01-19-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 04:05 PM
information regurgitator

That line was the coolant flow through your egr cooler. The coolant comes out of the oil cooler, goes through the EGR cooler, then into the intake manifold. Some of that coolant is sent back to the degas bottle via the rubber hose, while the rest goes to the front cover of the engine. (all that is according to the 6.0 Bible)
I would think that if you introduced some sort of obstruction (say a plugged filter) you could cause the oil cooler to overheat by blocking the coolant flow.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 AM

Yea , but I my still try and put in a filter of some sort or at least tee into this so if it does plug it will still circulate ... pulled hose off when I got home last night and it does have PLENTY of Flow !
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM

I'm going to run one of the Oberg style filters , check and clean it every time I do oil changes , due to its design it should mount easily behind alternator and have plenty of room to service it !

Oberg Oil Filters
Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 AM

I would make sure to check the oil temperature to make sure the cooler gets lots coolant.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
information regurgitator

If your going to drop that kind of coin (for the oberg), why no get the dieselsite coolant filtration?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 PM

I have used the Oberg on my race engines before and have one already , I also have several screens of different microns ...they have a very low pressure drop and good surface filter area...plus you clean the screens and replace , never need to buy another filter element unless it gets damaged ...I will clean it every time I do an oil change so clogging up should not be a problem , if it gets that much trash in there ?? something is seriously wrong anyways ?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 AM

ps..looking at where the hose nipple on the manifold is , it looks to just tap into the water port that returns to the pump ?? it does not apper that this hose would carry ALL the Coolant that originally would flow thru the EGR system ? anyone care to clarify my idea on this ....just does not make sense you need alot of coolant flow thru the Oil Cooler ,to the EGR Cooler then return to tank by such a small hose , like it is described as ...EGR Daereation port , I believe this was designed to scavenge some of the coolants trapped air /steam ?? and circulate it out of the system and back to De-gas tank ??
Right or Completely wrong ??
Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
That line was the coolant flow through your egr cooler. The coolant comes out of the oil cooler, goes through the EGR cooler, then into the intake manifold. Some of that coolant is sent back to the degas bottle via the rubber hose, while the rest goes to the front cover of the engine. (all that is according to the 6.0 Bible)
I would think that if you introduced some sort of obstruction (say a plugged filter) you could cause the oil cooler to overheat by blocking the coolant flow.
I already hit on that.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM

True, but if the return line plugged going to the degas it would still circulate the full amount of coolant within the system .. instead of bleeding some to the tank .....and should not hinder the cooling of the oil cooler ? that is what I'm getting at ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.