Problems with SCT X3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems with SCT X3

I had to take my truck in and get a reflash due to some rough starting in the morning. I put my truck back to stock before going to the dealership. After I got the truck back I tried to install a tune but got a message that said my truck was not recognized. Went to SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel! and downloaded the software to update the programmer. I installed the newest firmware with no problems but when I try to install the newest program from the website, I get the error message below after going about half way through the programming. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? I have tried 2 different computers, disabled antivirus software and any firewalls, and even tried a new USB cable.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Did you unlock it when you returned to stock?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It was my understanding that with the X3 that I didn't have to unlock it after going back to stock. The device status currently says unlocked.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Mine threw an error when I tried to load a new tune. I don't remember if it was the same as you are experiencing but a forced update did the trick for me. This after numerous tries to load the newest firmware from the SCT website. There's an option to force an update in the user interface. This option is separate from the update firmware button, you might give that a try. I would check to see exactly where the button I speak of is, but only have Macintosh computers at home... had to use a buddy's windows machine to perform the update on mine.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I don't see a force update. Here are the only options that I have.........

Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Attempted to install it again and left it plugged into the computer and got this error message, "invalid block write id".

I found another site that said you had to contact SCT about it and they could fix it. Anybody know anything about that? Do we have any SCT tech people on this site?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:11 PM

I believe it is under "automatically check for updates". Try that, it should say something about forcing an update. It may be after you select a different update function, sorry just don't remember. You are returned to stock, right? If so, you shouldn't have any worries. My stock tune as well as the custom tunes were still there after I updated mine. I'll try to boot in to Win7 to see but am not sure if it will show the option without the tuner connected, my Mac won't recognize the tuner even when booting Win7 in Vmware.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Just a thought,when they do a reflash, does it change your stradegy? I've heard of this before and from what I can remember, they had to have their tunes re-written. I could be totally off base with my thinking but it was just food for thought. Check and see if your stradegy is the same.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny5 View Post
I believe it is under "automatically check for updates". Try that, it should say something about forcing an update. It may be after you select a different update function, sorry just don't remember. You are returned to stock, right? If so, you shouldn't have any worries. My stock tune as well as the custom tunes were still there after I updated mine. I'll try to boot in to Win7 to see but am not sure if it will show the option without the tuner connected, my Mac won't recognize the tuner even when booting Win7 in Vmware.
I checked under automatically check for updates, and all of the options, and no where is there a force update. Just an FYI this is the very latest version of the upload software (2.9.5.2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcalvin View Post
Just a thought,when they do a reflash, does it change your stradegy? I've heard of this before and from what I can remember, they had to have their tunes re-written. I could be totally off base with my thinking but it was just food for thought. Check and see if your stradegy is the same.
I do not have any custom tunes installed on this X3. It is only the canned tunes that came with it from SCT. I believe it changed the strategy but from what I understand that shouldn't matter for the canned tunes.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 PM

Did you try to just "update", was that an option? I tried but cannot view it on mine. My FW was the most current as well, thus the dialogue box asking if I wanted to force an update. Maybe update is not the correct command, restore?.... Sorry, shooting in the dark here not being to check on mine. Ive only done it once b/c of not being able to load a custom tune.

Can you let me know what options / dialogue boxes you have when you select "automatically check for updates" with your device plugged in. It may also need to be in program mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.