Powermax and injector questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powermax and injector questions

Ive read the powermax threads and got alot of questions already answered but im wondering if the powermax turbo comes with a 9 blade wheel or the 03 style 10 blade wheel. I also want to know if the powermax whistles louder than the 03 turbo and if it whistles constant at idle or changes tones like the 03 turbo does.

My next question is about injectors. Im debating on 155cc or a little larger. I have a good set of injectors that have 50k on them and have zero issues. Do you think if i sent them to rcd and had them build the 155s out of my set would they still have issues like f250ghost has had?

Last question. Can 155s and powermax turbo with a regulated return fuel system, egr delete system tuned ficm by IDP and water/meth injection ( i use straight water) intake and exhaust and custom tuned sct by IDP with a xtreme street tune be driven daily and not dawged and not blow the head studs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoticDiesel View Post
Ive read the powermax threads and got alot of questions already answered but im wondering if the powermax turbo comes with a 9 blade wheel or the 03 style 10 blade wheel. I also want to know if the powermax whistles louder than the 03 turbo and if it whistles constant at idle or changes tones like the 03 turbo does.

My next question is about injectors. Im debating on 155cc or a little larger. I have a good set of injectors that have 50k on them and have zero issues. Do you think if i sent them to rcd and had them build the 155s out of my set would they still have issues like f250ghost has had?

Last question. Can 155s and powermax turbo with a regulated return fuel system, egr delete system tuned ficm by IDP and water/meth injection ( i use straight water) intake and exhaust and custom tuned sct by IDP with a xtreme street tune be driven daily and not dawged and not blow the head studs?
Ill just give my 2 cents on what I know.

I wouldnt send my injectors to RCD, heard to much crap about them. On a side note, let me know if you want to sell yours.

2nd, I would def get head studs if your running big sticks and a big turbo, i know eric can tune down stuff, but you need studs if youre runnin all that, your asking for trouble if you dont.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Here's my opinion. If you want 155's, go with Innovative, and they build them from newly remanufactured injectors straight from Ford.

As for the heads, if you swap to a good ELC, and a coolant filter, you may be fine. Also you need to monitor your EOT, ECT, and fuel pressure. 6L_strokin ran 180's and an RCD turbo with an EGR delete and stock head bolts and he never blew his gaskets. He sold the truck with 218k. But you may not be as lucky, so be prepared to add studs at any time.

As far as fuel, I'd go with an AirDog 2, along with 6.4 banjos and the updated Ford FPR. If you're stuck on a regulated return, I'd pair it with an AirDo 150.

And with a straight pipe the PowerMax will be louder than the '03. But the change of tones that you hear through the exhaust is actually just the turbo vanes cycling at idle. That is in your strategy, not your turbo.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Here's my opinion. If you want 155's, go with Innovative, and they build them from newly remanufactured injectors straight from Ford.

As for the heads, if you swap to a good ELC, and a coolant filter, you may be fine. Also you need to monitor your EOT, ECT, and fuel pressure. 6L_strokin ran 180's and an RCD turbo with an EGR delete and stock head bolts and he never blew his gaskets. He sold the truck with 218k. But you may not be as lucky, so be prepared to add studs at any time.

As far as fuel, I'd go with an AirDog 2, along with 6.4 banjos and the updated Ford FPR. If you're stuck on a regulated return, I'd pair it with an AirDo 150.

And with a straight pipe the PowerMax will be louder than the '03. But the change of tones that you hear through the exhaust is actually just the turbo vanes cycling at idle. That is in your strategy, not your turbo.
agree with him ^^^ although casserly from full force makes great injectors (not sure if he makes 155s) and another to think about is elite diesel. Ive heard theirs are good and they have 8 hole instead of 6
Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillis2003 View Post
agree with him ^^^ although casserly from full force makes great injectors (not sure if he makes 155s) and another to think about is elite diesel. Ive heard theirs are good and they have 8 hole instead of 6
Casserly does not build 155's... Yet. But I would rank Innovative right up there with Casserly. I did forget to mention that Innovative's 155's are 8-hole injectors.

Elite does not use newly remanufactured injectors from Ford, they only build from the used cores that others send in, so its hit or miss. And for their hefty price ($3160), theirs no way I'd go that route. Even Casserly's 190's are around $3200 IIRC. Give Innovative a call or shoot them an email.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Casserly does not build 155's... Yet. But I would rank Innovative right up there with Casserly. I did forget to mention that Innovative's 155's are 8-hole injectors.

Elite does not use newly remanufactured injectors from Ford, they only build from the used cores that others send in, so its hit or miss. And for their hefty price ($3160), theirs no way I'd go that route. Even Casserly's 190's are around $3200 IIRC. Give Innovative a call or shoot them an email.
well that is news to me. thank you sir.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 PM

how much does innovative sell their 155s for?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 PM

and can i change my strategy or tune to make the vanes not cycle like that so its always a constant whistle?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
how much does innovative sell their 155s for?
I just emailed them to ask.

Quote:
and can i change my strategy or tune to make the vanes not cycle like that so its always a constant whistle?
I'd have to do some research to find what strategies don't cycle the turbo vanes. IMO, I'd keep it. It keeps your vanes from sticking while idling, and could extend the life of your turbo. But if you really don't want it, I'm sure you could contact PHP and get them to roll your strategy back to one that doesn't have it.

But I'll tell you this, I've had two different strategies on my truck (VXAP1N6 and VXAP2N2) and they both did it. It sounds pretty sweet to me. Gives it a bit of a peronality.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:12 PM

according to their website they are 2950$$..unless the website isnt updated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.