Injectors and turbo question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Injectors and turbo question

In the future, I'm looking at upgrading to bigger injectors and a Powermax turbo. My question is, if I go with 165-175cc injectors and a Powermax would I make it to 500 rwhp? Also, I do quite a bit of towing, sometimes up to 18k-20k. Will I still be able to tow with that setup safely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The short answer is no. Kevin McGray dynoed at 550 with Cass 190's and the PowerMax turbo. Once you get past 155's, your EGT's will be too high while towing with loads that heavy. You may be able to offset the higher EGT's with water injection and a combination of tuning. With my PowerMax and stock injectors and a mild tow tune, I can still make it to 1400* while towing.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
With that much weight 175 will be hard to do. less than 175cc would be best.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Well, that sucks. Probably just stay with stock injectors then.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
one day at a time

If you tow heavy stock injectors are the way to go. People that don't follow that advise and think they'll learn to live with the "compromise" usually wind up beating their heads against the wall later...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
If you tow heavy stock injectors are the way to go. People that don't follow that advise and think they'll learn to live with the "compromise" usually wind up beating their heads against the wall later...
True, I'd rather run stock injectors and a Powermax so I don't tear anything up. Will do bigger injectors on this truck when I buy a new one.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Read post number 64.
RCD vs. Elite vs. Cass

155cc may work.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
I'm running elites 155's and i've been happy so far. I'm running them with the vgtss, which is near identical to the powermax. I would think you would be very happy w/ that setup. My egts dont get out of control at all, i can cruise around 75 - 80 with the temps staying in the realm of 700 to 900. WOT i can see up to 1300 - 1400, but i'm a bit of a puss. I dont let it get much past that point

Although i will say, my decision a little over a year ago to go with the 155's was made in an attempt at not having to upgrade my trans. That didnt happen (note: probably just my ****ty luck, everyone says they are good up to 500rwhp). As well as having a truck that was still able to do whatever i needed it to do.......but hell i dont tow, i just put alot of miles on. So now i have an upgraded trans & tc with a deep down itch to up my injector size........so choose your size wisely

As far as who to go with, if it's in your budget, casserly seems like the smart choice. Dont hear anything bad about his stuff and if his customer service is as good as everyone says, that right there would sway me. Elite makes some topnotch stuff, but like mentioned customer service is not the greatest. sorry for the long post, but i was in your 'wondering what to go with' position not that long ago and these sites were invaluable to my decision..............i have a vid i made, just have to dig it up
Here is the post you're quoting. Notice the high lighted sentence. The OP of this thread tows 15-20k.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Oops, I was not thinking straight.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
The short answer is no. Kevin McGray dynoed at 550 with Cass 190's and the PowerMax turbo. Once you get past 155's, your EGT's will be too high while towing with loads that heavy. You may be able to offset the higher EGT's with water injection and a combination of tuning. With my PowerMax and stock injectors and a mild tow tune, I can still make it to 1400* while towing.
Sorry if Im going off topic too much, but ive heard a powermax with stock injectors is blowing too much air? Do you still gain decent horsepower with just the turbo on the top end atleast or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.