Dry run test with used SCT x3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 270
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dry run test with used SCT x3

I went into the Program vehicle mode : there is "Return TO Stock", Strategy Tune and the Custom Tune modes. Can someone tell me the difference between the Strategy Tune and the Custom Tune modes? I'm assuming this only has 3 custom tunes on it (the seller said so), but havent gone beyond this point as I dont want to make an error if I can avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,680
Thanks: 86
Thanked 184 Times in 148 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did the previous owner of the x-3 return his truck back to stock before he sold you the unit? Is the x-3 vin locked or is it unlocked? Did you update the SCT software? Did you receive custom tunes from a tuner in your e-mail?

When buying a used SCT device, it's not a simple plug and play. You need to make sure the X-3 is returned to factory stock and the current software is updated prior to loading it up to your truck.

Here is a link to check if your x-3 is unlocked. SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!

If I were you, I would contact SCT so they can walk you thru the process of using a used SCT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 270
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Did the previous owner of the x-3 return his truck back to stock before he sold you the unit? Is the x-3 vin locked or is it unlocked? Did you update the SCT software? Did you receive custom tunes from a tuner in your e-mail?

When buying a used SCT device, it's not a simple plug and play. You need to make sure the X-3 is returned to factory stock and the current software is updated prior to loading it up to your truck.

Here is a link to check if your x-3 is unlocked. SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!

If I were you, I would contact SCT so they can walk you thru the process of using a used SCT.
Yes its unlocked (cant tell how many unlocks are left though). I read my VIN and strategy numbers, and though they are different numbers than the previous owner, the trucks are the same model year and similar in set up and modifcations (on and only modification, a 4 inch exhaust mod).

The programmer has Economy, Tow, and Street tunes, and I betting that they are the same tunes you find on a SCT canned tunes, as they are suppose to be written for limited modified units.

I've been wonderin if the software update (firmware, revision??) is reallly necessary, but you do make is sound as its imparitive. Are you about to explain why? It kinda troublesum since I have to go somewhere else to do it since I only have dial up service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,680
Thanks: 86
Thanked 184 Times in 148 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsestrokin View Post
Yes its unlocked (cant tell how many unlocks are left though). I read my VIN and strategy numbers, and though they are different numbers than the previous owner, the trucks are the same model year and similar in set up and modifcations (on and only modification, a 4 inch exhaust mod).

The programmer has Economy, Tow, and Street tunes, and I betting that they are the same tunes you find on a SCT canned tunes, as they are suppose to be written for limited modified units.

I've been wonderin if the software update (firmware, revision??) is reallly necessary, but you do make is sound as its imparitive. Are you about to explain why? It kinda troublesum since I have to go somewhere else to do it since I only have dial up service.
The firmware/revision isn't that imparitive, but at some point your gonna need to update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 270
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
The firmware/revision isn't that imparitive, but at some point your gonna need to update.
Then you think current software is updated prior to loading isnt Imparitive either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,680
Thanks: 86
Thanked 184 Times in 148 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i have an older x-3 that has both canned and custom tune capability, so i'm a little confused when you say stradegy tune.


To find out if you have a older X-3 or a newer one, you will need to look on the back of the device at the serial #. If the serial # starts with XP then you have the newer style X-3 that only holds custom tunes. If the serial # starts with X3 than you have the older style that can hold canned and custom tunes.


The older X-3's use different firmware than you would for the newer X-3's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,680
Thanks: 86
Thanked 184 Times in 148 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsestrokin View Post
Then you think current software is updated prior to loading isnt Imparitive either
From my understanding, the newer updates take care of "issues" in the software. But I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: s. arlington, tx
Posts: 1,548
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
Evidentally it holds canned as well as strategy tunes. Strategy=custom tunes. Do you know the strategy the tunes were written for? 03-04 truck strategy will not function on a 05-07 truck. the 05+ have more stuff in them to be short. As me how I know lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 270
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I did go ahead and clicked on the Load Strategy Tune, and it came up "not supported". The other option was Load Custom Tunes, which showed Ecnomy, Tow and Street. It is odd cause the unit is a newer on with XP on the first two letters in its serial number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
back to business



 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Not AK right now
Posts: 3,561
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So you have a newer model, it will only hold 3 custom tunes, NO canned tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
If the serial # starts with XP then you have the newer style X-3 that only holds custom tunes.
Make sure you download the correct firmware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors