Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How much Horse power can i stock 5r110 hold up to

47K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  Lubbockguy1979 
#1 ·
Hey guys im sure its on here some where, but i was wondering how much horse power a stock 5r110 trans can hold up to.

#2 ·
daily driver i have read on the forums about 500hp. then about that level is where you start seeing suncoast heavy duty rebuilds in the guys signatures. i know trucks run more power through them but it all depends on how hard you are on it, tranny temps, and filter/fluids. lets see if some guys with big power post up to help you out

#4 ·
Like stated it all matter how you drive it, mine is over 500hp and still on a stock trans no problem but I dont dog it every day.

#5 ·
dont trust it over stock. if u wanna get on it and show off ur 500hp everynow and then u dont wanna be embarressed when ur stock tranny goes boom. i blew mine up by runing just a sct tunner and my buddy blew his up 2 months ago with a bully dog tunner. bully dog does tune the tranny so maybe that was his prob but mine was tuned with the sct. and let me add thesem two trucks are nowhere near 500hp!!!!!!!!!

mine blew awhile ago and since then ive done work to mine about 575 hp right now and ive already tore a few suncoast apart.... so 500 on a stock? i think not for long

#12 ·
575 huh what do you have done

if u drive around likea granny ya itll hold 500 but why have 500 hp then? see what i mean? for relibility put a tranny in if u wanna have 500hp
Really there are more ppl here over 500hp driving there trucks daily I drive mine with COMMON SENSE. Why have 500hp because I can roll when I need to. Since you only been here for a month you dont know my history and alot of other peoples either. But thats your opinion nothing less.

#7 ·
well guys thanks for all the info. yeah right now i am having slipping problems with my i have do have alot done to it and i have to keep my tuner on stage 4 cause after stage 4 the trans likes to act funny it starts to jerk real hard.

#11 ·
Well its a hypermax mach7 and I have alot done to my truck bigger injectors bigger turbo arps egr delete cross over fuel system stage 2

#16 ·
What size injectors and turbo?

And why the heck would you run that crappy generic tuner when you have a boatload of custom parts? And do you have gauges?

Get an SCT w/ custom tunes on that rig ASAP.

Is that a silicon boob by a turbo in your avatar
It's a quarter. :hehe:

#13 ·
:icon_ford:they tell me i should be close to 600 hp and i on stock tranny i have to let off the throttle for it to shift and in OD it slips if i give it to much . but its holding , and before youall start on me about where my numbers came from it was trusted performance in texas . they set me up with all the parts and i did the work.:scuffy

#15 ·
Check your transmission fluid level

What size turbo?

oh and 550 ish.... stock tranny
Is that a silicon boob by a turbo in your avatar?

I have 247,100 miles on my factory transmission. Been tuned with a race tune since 190,000. I have pulled a sled, drag raced and tow in my race tune. Still holding strong.

#19 ·
I have a dashdaq monitor from drew technologies and as for the tuner i didnt know any better at the time i purchased it but now that i have done all of the reading that i have done i am getting ready to get an sct from vivian. As for injectors and turbo they are 190cc with a 62/70 non vgt turbo i aslo have th 58v hot tune from swamps with the power hungry custom tune, with full 4in exhaust

#21 ·
I also do my own custom tuning with delta force commando tuning but thats only to regulate my heavy smoking on take off, which i have very little smoke even with those bigger injectors

#24 ·
eh, my 5R took a dump at 120k miles. Truck is a dd and was babied. Only mods were basic things like studs, exhaust, intake, and sct with a fairly mild custom tune. If I ever get another truck with a 5r in it I'm gonna make it a top priority to do suncoast rebuild or drop something else in asap. I'm sure stock they are great but any mods and all bets are off. Yeah plenty of people will say "well mine lasted such and such time with mods and blah blah blah" but after this happened to me I'm not rolling those dice anymore.

#26 ·
I am monitoring egt i have a probe in both manifolds so i can monitor both banks of my engine as for a fuel gauge i have a manual gauge plumbed into my fuel regulator running 67 psi almost all the time it might drop down to 64 63 under high demands

#27 ·
this web site has been a huge on info for me i have read through this site since the day i subscribed to it and have learn a ton from here. that is how i built my truck is from what every one else has tried and from what has worked on these trucks.

#28 ·
fluid is good in the tranny . turbo is a prototype 64\71\70 with a ceramic housing that will get put on it later right now trusted is still testing the housing and the design still needs tweeked (so they say) . I used to think it was a fast truck with a chip and exhaust and cold air . I was soooo dumb.

#29 ·
hey powerstroke i bet that little turbo spools wicked quik:hehe:

#31 ·
actually i was very impressed with trusted ,chad there even called me from his house when i emailed him with questions to help. and i would refer them anytime . I did have some problems with cobb's diesel though . but they eventually made things right .:thumb:

#32 ·
I thought our transmission was suppose to be pretty good if they hold up the 08+ trucks with the same trans and those trucks make 500rwhp with a tune and dpf dellete...

I see all you guys talking about the suncoast, but what about ATS they have an awesome warranty.

Do you guys usually buy the whole transmission or the rebuild kit and have a local guy do it?

5R110 Stage I Package - ATS Diesel

#33 ·
ATS ? have not heard one good story about their customer service . all the warenty in the world dont do no good if their service is as bad as i hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.