Tuners and the 6.0L- Technical Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 AM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuners and the 6.0L- Technical Questions

I don't know much about the tuners that are on the market, and that's a big part of my hesitation in installing one on my rig. I want to know whats going on with the tunes. I have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers on:

If I have a parameter, most likely EGT, going out of specifications, do any of these tuners defuel the program, or return the truck to stock?

When its cold is I don't want to have a tuner dumping a "tuned" fuel level into the engine 'till its up to normal operating temps. How are these tuners programmed for cold weather, say 20 degrees or less?

How do these tuners (which I understand are the Edge and SCT) doing when they tune the transmission to the new powerbands? Is it just shift points, or do they handle fluid pressure and the TC as well?

How are these tunes tested, particularly the custom files, when it comes to power outputs and towing performance?

I understand there is a strong following here for the SCT, and the Edge tuners on the forum. I'm just not ready to flash that computer until I know exactly what its going to do to the truck. The power and transmission tunes from these two sound great, I just need a little better understanding of what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Custom SCT files are the way to go for tuning on the 6.0 Any of the custom tuners mentioned here are very good at what they do.

Now on to your questions.

EGT defueling no. Get guages and control your EGT's with your right foot

Cold weather defueling and trans programming. Yes they all do that.

Tune testing. They are all dyno and road tested.

As far as Edge the insight cs and cts are great monitoring options
Old 12-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Stick with Dave's recommendations but stay away from the edge tuners you can do a search here and find a lot of reasons not to use edge tuners. SCT is the only way, to do it right.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 PM

i talked to eric at innovative diesel and asked him about how tuning is effected with a cold engine. he said that there are temperature parameters in the tune file so it doesn't put all the extra power on a engine that isn't up to temp. this made me feel more assured and i still and sure to warm the truck up and not get over 10psi until the engine is near normal operating temps. hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:44 PM
The Silent Service

So, the cold starts can be handled by the Edge (canned) and the SCT (custom tunes) at a minimum. Good to know, I'll just have to verify that when I get the tunes written. Its a start anyway.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 PM
The Silent Service

Bumping this up, I've got the truck in for head gaskets and studs at the moment. Looking at the SCT line of tuners.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM

innovativediesel.com
you can get what ever SCT tuner you want to buy and custom tunes for a package price.
there are other tuners that have great reps too and i'm sure forum members can give you some insight to what they run and how it works
Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Get an SCT with custom files.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would start with either innovative or gearhead just so you know your starting with good tunes then you can tryout others later, that is the path you should go imo
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM

I have had superchips and Diablosport and I run SCT now. Neither of the other two tuners come close to my custom tunes in both power and shifting.

The superchips was not very progressive power at all it was all or nothing with really hard shifts all the time. This was the 1405 tuner I think.

The diablosport 100hp race tune feels like my tow tune from Matt......only Matts shifting is much better. This is also the tune I blew my HGs with. This was the Predator tuner.

Switchin to SCT has been my best programming choice to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.