'07 F-350 6.0L DD/TOW w/o tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 08:30 AM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'07 F-350 6.0L DD/TOW w/o tuner

Just joined this site due to the excellent information I have found in the last few days. I have a unique set of goals for my F-350 , compared to what I've seen from most folks on this site, and I'm looking for some sound advice on the matter. I am building this truck as a daily driver, tow vehicle. I'm looking at most of the standard 6.0L upgrades for reliability, and the like, but the difference is I do not wish to run a tuner of any kind in my rig. Too many horror stories, I want this truck to last. Here's what I've got planned out so far: (a considerable portion of this list has been updated reading various posts and treads here)
-Maintain the stock intake and filter (I wont come near to 500HP)
-4" Turbo-back exhaust with 3.5" down-pipe to drop the EGT's.
-Gauge upgrades to include: EGT, Fuel and Oil Press, EOT/ECT, and Trans. Temp.
Engine upgrades to include:
-Coolant Filter (install)
-Oil Cooler (upgrade)
-EGR Cooler (upgrade)
-Inter-cooler (upgrade)
-ARP Headstuds and a set of Black-Onix Gaskets.
-Transmission upgrades to include:
-Torque Converter (upgrade)
-Trans Fluid Cooler (install)
Again, I intend for this to be a non-tuner build. (I realize some may think I'm crazy, but the trucks for towing and not for sport). I'll be leaving the service and heading back to Colorado so the cold and the altitude is a consideration.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

how much weight u plan on towing... annual miles?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM
The Silent Service

I head back to Colorado some time next year. Mainly 2 horse draft-crosses at around 8k total, and a boat. (not anything crazy) Mileage is a little unknown, I average around 12-15k a year, and very little of that is towing at this moment. The build is so I'm not having to go out an buy another truck anytime soon. See how long I can get this 6.0 to last me. If I get everything going on my own ranch like I'd like, I'll be pullin' 14k+. Its the altitude and the grades that have me a little cautious, not really the weight.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 AM

sounds like a good list. might think of a few things (dpending on weight) air bags for rear. and external trans filter.....and if you planning on alot of towing a fuly built trans might be ezer/better.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM
The Silent Service

Hadn't given that much thought, replacing the transmission all together anyway. I know I'd need a new TC, by-pass filter, and the cooler at a minimum. If I replace it though, I want to upgrade to a 6 speed, if I can mate up the 2011 TorqShift to this 6.0.

Last edited by colo_dually; 12-28-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM
The Silent Service

I appreciate the feed back I got. However, due to me blowing HG's and Ford paying the labor, my rig's getting APR Head Studs. Along with what I have learned on the forums here, I think this project is going to take a bit a turn towards a different direction... again thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 AM

sounds like a good project and in the end you will have a very strong truck. your list seems good, but depending on the condition of your transmission now you might want to do a SunCoast Heavy Duty Rebuild at the same time as the TC. Also airbags are always nice. good luck
Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Sounds like a great project. You can skip the intercooler.

The stock 5r110 is more than adequate for your needs. If anything I would just do a full rebuild if the time comes
Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 PM

I have an 04 with 49K miles and only use it for towing about 5K miles a year 8K lbs max (26' Formula, ATV Trailer w/ tent trailer attached, Snow mobile trailer.

I think you are monitoring all the criticals. I'm surprised you have blown that many head gaskets. I monitor boost and clean my stock turbo yearly. I run an Edge Evolution (I know its not very popular on this site but they have always taken care of me). I run the Tow with the firm shift selection. I would also have ATS Double Deep Tranny pan and Diff Cover. I also only run Amsoil and change it every 5K miles. I run a Fuel Additive. I have updated Fuel Spring (Fuel pressure is critical to injector life I'm told), EGR Delete (I was told this is the single best reliability Mod I can do for this engine), I run a Coolant Filter (I was also told this is the single best reliability Mod I can do for this engine). If you have more than a 15' delta between EOT and ECT while towing your oil cooler is plugging up.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
.. I think this project is going to take a bit a turn towards a different direction... again thanks.
Oh? And what does that mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.