New ignorant 6.0L owner needing help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 6.0L owner needing help

I just bought a 2006 F250 XLT and to be honest I am completely ignorant when it comes to these trucks and I need some help. I am stationed overseas and am returning in March so before I get back I was wanting to try and fix some of the common problems it seems these trucks have. I have been reading these forums for days and have a somewhat understanding of what it takes to help these trucks just not good enough to be sinking money in it yet. The truck has 79,000 miles and the only thing that has ever been wrong was at 39,00 the injector sensor needed replaced so it hasn't been a problem truck but I won't to make it even more reliable.

I called a local 4 wheel parts store back home and had them make me a list and was hoping if any of you could let me know if I was heading in the right direction before I spent a ton of money. I got a MBRP turbo back exhaust 4" to 5" no cat and straight exhaust, BD EGR delete kit, K&N air intake system, autometer gauge panel, and possibly a superchips cortex programmer.

The only reason Im thinking about the superchips cortex programmer is because they do not carry SCT and I do not need a high performance tune or tow tune as I will only be pulling a 4,500 pound race trailer once a month at most. I just want this truck as dependable as possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Stephen

Last edited by SShore; 12-19-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

change out the ford gold coolant and add a coolant filter.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

get the sct with custom tunes its wayyyy better than any other tuner out there for the 6.0... plus the sct will also tune the trans which is very important when making extra power.

and to really truly make it very dependable you need to stud the heads...

every thing else sounds good except for the k&n
Old 12-18-2010, 01:14 PM

I asked them about doing the ARP head bolt swap but they said they didn't do it because of having to take the cab off. Do you think the Banks intake system is better? Once I got them the truck I was going to ask them about doing a flush and using the silicate free Rotellat. Where can I get a coolant filter and how hard is it to install?

Also I see atleast a dozen places with the SCT tunes available. I am sure it is all preference but does anywhere have good basic dependable tunes?

Thanks again for the help, being overseas is making it even more of a pain but atleast it gives me time to hopefully get the truck right before I get home. Just hope Im not doing all this for naught.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Full-time RV'er

Send a message via Skype™ to theblacksmith
The stock air intake filter is as good as it gets (the way I understand it) unless your running over 500hp.

ARP studs... I'm sure there are other shops that can do the studs.
DieselSite coolant filter See Here

SCT tuner ONLY for the 6.0 See HERE
You can always buy the SCT online rather than depending on the one vendor that you've been talking to.
The 'high performance' tune will give you extra mpg's as well as power... thus the high performance.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanks blacksmith, got the coolant filter kit on it's way. I will have it flushed and have this put on. it didn't look too difficult. Would like to do a lot of this myself as I am a mechanic just not when it comes to diesel engines lol. Also contacted Vivian about an SCT tune. Thanks for the help guys. Like I said I just want to make this truck dependable, like a diesel should be.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:35 PM

EGR Delete, Coolant Filter, Silver Fuel Pressure Spring Upgrade, 4" Turbo back exhaust if you are going to power program it, Monitor EGT, Boost and get an Edge insite to monitor EOT and ECT, if you get an EOT delta 15' higher than ECT you are getting a plugged Oil Cooler. Everyone has an opinion but I prefer Amsoil Engine Oil but whatever oil you run use a quality oil and change it every 4K miles.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Full-time RV'er

Send a message via Skype™ to theblacksmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
EGR Delete, Coolant Filter, Silver Fuel Pressure Spring Upgrade, 4" Turbo back exhaust if you are going to power program it, Monitor EGT, Boost and get an Edge insite to monitor EOT and ECT, if you get an EOT delta 15' higher than ECT you are getting a plugged Oil Cooler. Everyone has an opinion but I prefer Amsoil Engine Oil but whatever oil you run use a quality oil and change it every 4K miles.
I differ with you on the "silver" spring. The upgraded spring is BLUE Part#3C3Z9T517AG

Read THIS

It's a little lengthy but a good 'read'

Last edited by theblacksmith; 12-18-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do not bother doing ARP studs unless you have to change the head gaskets anyway or have the cab off for some reason. If you delte the egr, have a good clean oil cooler, and switch to ELC coolant the chance are good that you won't have head gaskets problems. SCT X3 for tuning and an Edge Insight for monitoring is a great way to go and gives you the best bang for the buck. Lots of good tuners are available if you go with the SCT. Matt @ gearhead, Eric @ IDP, Vivian @ quicktricks are just a start. Blacksmith is right on the pressure regultor spring and the part # for the kit.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
pgreensvt is right on with the recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.