Air System Questions.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Making ported intakes

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Air System Questions..

I have a few thoughts...

1. Anyone try a airraid throttle body spacer?

2. Any difference on a open intake to a closed intale grabbing air from the front of truck?

i might order a spacer depending on feedback and thinking of replacing my intake with a sealed. thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
AFE Stage 2 will be your best bet.

Here's their newest release, looks pretty sweet.

aFe PG7 Si Air Intake 03-07 Ford Super Duty 6.0L Diesel - eBay (item 140474053068 end time Jan-02-11 16:09:08 PST)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Throttle body spacer is pointless on a diesel. Diesels don't even have a throttle body.

And I like my S&B intake. Really good value for the money.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Making ported intakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
AFE Stage 2 will be your best bet.

Here's their newest release, looks pretty sweet.

aFe PG7 Si Air Intake 03-07 Ford Super Duty 6.0L Diesel - eBay (item 140474053068 end time Jan-02-11 16:09:08 PST)
ya just saw it on afe's website. think i might get that, the stage 1 filter keeps bending and damaging its self its wierd
Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAWG714 View Post
I have a few thoughts...

1. Anyone try a airraid throttle body spacer?

2. Any difference on a open intake to a closed intale grabbing air from the front of truck?

i might order a spacer depending on feedback and thinking of replacing my intake with a sealed. thanks guys
Just forget about the spacer, the intake manifold and heads are too restrictive to gain any power. This also goes for a aftermarket intake elbow.

As for aftermarket air intakes, the stock unit is good for about 500hp, along with it will out filter any aftermarket filter. The only benefit to a aftermarket filter if the ease of removal and they are reusable. The down side of an aftermarket filter is you take a chance of dusting the turbo blades, sort of like sandblasting the blades.

If you want cooler fresh air you can do a ZOODAD MOD, between the air filter housing and grill is a fiberglass panel that can be cut out to get direct air flow to the filter. Do a search on ZOODAD MOD to get ideas of what members did.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Making ported intakes

cool good to know 06 powerstroke, lilpooh i did that mod already, even with stock intake crap getson the blades from the pcv valve or whatnot.. i called afe they are local and i explained to them what was going on with the stage 1 so they r gonna either upgrade me or just send me replacement parts.. we shall see
Old 12-16-2010, 04:00 PM

The crank case vents into the intake. Do the CCV mod.
Throttle bodies are on gas engines. We are not gas engines. Therefore, we do not have throttle bodies.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Making ported intakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The crank case vents into the intake. Do the CCV mod.
Throttle bodies are on gas engines. We are not gas engines. Therefore, we do not have throttle bodies.
obviously we have diesel motors however thats what they are called, same thing they spin the air into the intake systm.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Just forget about the spacer, the intake manifold and heads are too restrictive to gain any power. This also goes for a aftermarket intake elbow.

As for aftermarket air intakes, the stock unit is good for about 500hp, along with it will out filter any aftermarket filter. The only benefit to a aftermarket filter if the ease of removal and they are reusable. The down side of an aftermarket filter is you take a chance of dusting the turbo blades, sort of like sandblasting the blades.

If you want cooler fresh air you can do a ZOODAD MOD, between the air filter housing and grill is a fiberglass panel that can be cut out to get direct air flow to the filter. Do a search on ZOODAD MOD to get ideas of what members did.
x elevetybillion

I will add that in addition to dusting the turbo, you stand a chance of dusting the cylinders. Without the CCV mod, you should be safe since your intercooler will act like a big oil bath air cleaner.

The biggest advantage (for guys under 500 horse or so) of an aftermaket air filter is the ease of access. That's the only reason I haven't ditched the POS K&N on mine. I would LOVE an S&B......
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM

I find it funny that every time someone posts up a intake question the same conclusion arises. It is pointless unless you have a modified engine producing over 550 hp. Save your money for something else that will actually improve your vehicles performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.