Programmer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Programmer?

Has anyone ever gained and MPG with there programmer? I do not need more HP I am looking for MPG. This summer I am going to pull my 5th wheel from Pa. to Alaska. Anything would be a help. I do not want to do anything that will reduce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My mileage went up some but it depends on the driving situation. You will have more power sooner so you won't need to get into the throttle as much to have the same power.

The problem is keeping your foot out of it when you have that extra power.

I bought my edge for the guages more than anything.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree with QMartinez but will add a little more to his point.

Your best bet to increase your MPG is to buy the hottest tune you can. For example, for someone that doesn't run alot of heavy loads or tow, a tune like an Xtreme Race would be your best bet for getting the highest MPG out of your rig. That's because the fuel delivery is more precise, the torque converter locks up sooner, and you overall have more power at less pedal and RPM.

Now if you're going to be towing a 5th wheel I would suggest getting ahold of someone like Eric at Innovative Diesel and telling him that you need a tow tune. Let him know what kind of driving you will be doing (what terrain, elevation, etc), how heavy your load is, what mods are done to your truck, etc. He will be able to write you a tune that will give you around an extra 50-60 hp as well as increased transmission performance.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

does anyone make a programmer withount power tunes but has egr delite and trans updates ?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxman316 View Post
does anyone make a programmer withount power tunes but has egr delite and trans updates ?
The only thing programmers can do as far as I know concerning the EGR system is "turn off" the valve. Or are you talking about using the programmer to have a tune so you don't get the CEL after installing a delete kit?

As far as I know, you can get a company to write you any kind of tune you want them too. If you're only after an updated trans file they will be able to do that.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys I as well am new to this site and was wondering if the Edge or bullydog pcm is ok to use? I have an 05 f350 dually crewcab with the arp stud bolts the heads were cleaned and miced new gaskets, EGR deletion, and new Injectors, glow plugs, and 4 inch strait exhaust no muffler or cat, I have an Edge Juice performance programmer on it I do like it but I am a little scared after reading all that yall are saying about it. I do concessions and tow a rather heavy trailer (12,000lbs) and was wondering if I should change before this next season Thanks guys appreciate any help you can give!!
Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
only thing i would ever put on a 6.0L is a custom tuned SCT... and yes we can get a tune made that just shuts off the EGR and has no tuning available but you will prob see the bes in crease in MPG with one of the hotter tunes...

PM me if you have any questions

-Raul
Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 PM

I have towed my 5th wheel with the E-con on both 57 and 80 Hp setting for the last 3 years and so far never saw any alarming temperatures.

The different setting act differently for sure but they help my truck stay on overdrive in the hills while towing. and when the truck shifts to drive the fuel rate goes down by at least 5 MPusG.

The biggest fuel savings I did have is with 80HP setting at higher speeds above 60MPH.

The best investment for fuel savings has been my ScangaugeII that is programable for different fuel rate setting required due to programer fuel flow indication.

Its my fuel coach, engine condition indicator that I use when I am towing.

The last 2K miles trip with the trailer in the signiture, I was able to keep it at better then 14 MPusG on fairly flat ground and if going over 60 MPH it dropped quickly to 12 MPusG.

Last edited by caissiel; 12-12-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.