FICM Tuning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FICM Tuning

I'm looking for more power like everyone else I was wondering if having my ficm tuned would give me any more power? Is there any reason to get it tuned besides power? My truck starts and runs fine, gets 14.5 MPG while i abuse it and easily 16.5 MPG if i drive like a sane person. So what are the benefits for it and what is it going to cost me?
Thanks
Bryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 PM
one day at a time

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You might see an extra 1mpg or so from the FICM tune. A little more throttle response and a bit more fuel on the top end. I see you're running Spartan files on your X3 from your sig. I'm assuming they're the free tunes? I'd suggest you try an X street or race from Innovative or a race file from Matt R. at Gearhead. You'll be glad you did. I'd do that before worrying about the FICM flash.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I Plan on getting the SRL+ tune in short order but i want to get most of my aftermarket parts on before ordering a custom tune so i don't have to get it retuned. and i wasn't sure if a FICM tune would my tune.
Thanks for the input
Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 PM
one day at a time

You won't have to update your tunes once you get your FICM modded.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 AM

I have been running a tuned FICM from Innovative for over a year. If you looking for more power than it's not for you. What I noticed and like about the tuning is better fuel economy ~ 1-1.5 mpg and much quicker throttle responce. I do plug it in right now. Otherwise, it starts pretty rough when its 9 degrees in the morning. Sweet all Iowa guys on this thread at the moment.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
one day at a time

Mine started rough last winter too. Last year was the first year with a tuned FICM for me. I run 5w-40 syn oil already, but I added in 2 bottles of Rev X and the bad starts went away completely. Plugged in it was no problem, but sitting in a cold parking lot over night I had injector stiction pretty bad. Truck shook and missed until it was warmed up, then all was well.

I just changed my oil a week ago and have not added in any Rev X this time around. I want to see if the problem comes back.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM

pardon my ignorance, what is the difference between a tune ficm and say my tunes from eric that go into the SCT? same different? would i get anything from doing so?

btw the best mpg i have ever gotten from my truck in its current state is 11.2. math calculated not overhead lie-o-meter. suggestions?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM

The difference between the two is the SCT Tuner reporgrams the PCM and the FICM is reprogrammed via a special program that is not available in a handheld programmer. They are two completely different modules. The biggest difference with a tuned FICM is better throttle responce. You will not get a large power increase from a tuned FICM. Thats about the extent of my knowledge. I not sure why your mileage is that low. I never seen that low of mileage even towing a 10K load into a headwind. I would hook up AE to your truck and see if any values are off.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltech65 View Post
The difference between the two is the SCT Tuner reporgrams the PCM and the FICM is reprogrammed via a special program that is not available in a handheld programmer. They are two completely different modules. The biggest difference with a tuned FICM is better throttle responce. You will not get a large power increase from a tuned FICM. Thats about the extent of my knowledge. I not sure why your mileage is that low. I never seen that low of mileage even towing a 10K load into a headwind. I would hook up AE to your truck and see if any values are off.
sounds interesting i might want to do it...

ya dude the fuel mileage is the suck, something bad... i get like 11.9 unloaded and i know my wheels n tires are heavy but one dude says he has toyos (same as mine) on 22s and getting AMAZING fuel mileage compared to me...what is AE?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
AE is Autoenginuity software that can do almost everything that the dealership can do with there scanner. Here is a link.
AutoEnginuity® - OBD2 Scan Tool - Professional PC and PDA Diagnostics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.