How does 6.0 sound straightpiped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 06-26-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How does 6.0 sound straightpiped

Just bought the wife a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0 and wanted to put a 4" exhaust system on it eliminating the cat and muffler. After talking to my dealer they said there would not be enough backpressure and some guys that had done it on 6.0's did not like the sound, said it sounded like a "vacum cleaner". Just wanted the good ol diesel bellow like on my straighted 7.3. Any body finding the same? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 06-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL-C View Post
Just bought the wife a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0 and wanted to put a 4" exhaust system on it eliminating the cat and muffler. After talking to my dealer they said there would not be enough backpressure and some guys that had done it on 6.0's did not like the sound, said it sounded like a "vacum cleaner". Just wanted the good ol diesel bellow like on my straighted 7.3. Any body finding the same? Thanks
all i have heard is good things about exhaust systems on 6.0's... they sound like a jet taking off.... dont listen to the dealership
post #3 of 51 Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM

My 6.0 is strait piped and when you first start the engine it sounds like a thumpen V8 for about three seconds then the turbo whistle starts and it sounds like an jet starting to taxi down the runway.
post #4 of 51 Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Emergency Services

straight pipe it!!! that is a myth about backpressure..the engine get all the backpressure needed through the turbo...but it is a hot topic of discussion for opinions about that...u will love the sound though
searce youtube for sound clips of 6.0 straight pipe............

2003 psd 6.0
red crewcab
16" suspension lift, 48" michelin xml's on 20x10 black rockstars, 6000k hid's, crossover steering, zoodad mod, ccv mod, modified up pipe to delete egr cooler,high idle mod, mbrp 3.5 downpipe, train horns(also on remote), diamond plate tool box, recon smoked cablights, Code670 alarm/remote start,100w reverse lights, oil-based underbody paint
**soon to purchase SCT rockwell 2.5 ton frt/rear
-8,520lbs with me in it
post #5 of 51 Old 06-26-2007, 08:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to BOILERTURF2387
Quote:
My 6.0 is strait piped and when you first start the engine it sounds like a thumpen V8 for about three seconds then the turbo whistle starts and it sounds like an jet starting to taxi down the runway.
....Then on my truck about 2100 rpms its an awesome low tone

2004 F.250 Ext. Cab FX4
Recon White Lightning and Mirror and Cab lenses
Chrome replacement grill
FBD 4" TURBO BACK W/ 5" TIP
AutoMeter Sportcomps-Boost, Pyro, EGT, Eng Oil Temp
SCT Xcal2-Econ, Street Smoke, Looney
Factory Ford 20's on Goodyears

COMING ATTRACTIONS:
Chrome Bumpers
Zoodad
Train Horns

BURNOUT VIDEO
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...05-07_2230.flv
post #6 of 51 Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
how does a 6.0 sound?
vrrrooom vrrooom whistle whistle vrroooom errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
* the last one was a peel out

2003 psd 6.0
red crewcab
16" suspension lift, 48" michelin xml's on 20x10 black rockstars, 6000k hid's, crossover steering, zoodad mod, ccv mod, modified up pipe to delete egr cooler,high idle mod, mbrp 3.5 downpipe, train horns(also on remote), diamond plate tool box, recon smoked cablights, Code670 alarm/remote start,100w reverse lights, oil-based underbody paint
**soon to purchase SCT rockwell 2.5 ton frt/rear
-8,520lbs with me in it
post #7 of 51 Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
V6's have the vacuum sound but a straight piped 6.0 sounds like a jet. I left my cat on but it still sounds like a jet at idle.
post #8 of 51 Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Quote:
They sound jet-like at lower RPM's, then once they get up in the higher rpm's they sound like gassers.

2005 F350 XLT FX4. 2.5" leveling kit, 03 turbo, 4" MBRP Turbo-back, 58v FICM, SCT X4, Irate Diesel coolant filter
post #9 of 51 Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
back pressure?! you don't need no stinking back pressure! straight pipe that 05 and you'll get a little whistle with a lot of "throaty" rumble.

2003 centennial edition f250 4x4 ccsb auto w/blackwater long block w/arp's, 4" exhaust, airaid intake, ODawg's manifold, itp's reg return, sap modified solenoid, DC power 185amp alt, motorcraft 850cca, Warn Hubs, RS 55w 6k hid's, harley headlights, bpd 58v 6 phase, bpd water pump, dieselsite coolant filter, elc coolant, php gryphon, Xcal2 w/unlimited tow, new hfcm, glowshift fuel psi gauge, icon level kit, 20" kmc hoss, 305/55 terra grapplers TOTALED
post #10 of 51 Old 06-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Banned

Quote:

the stealership is a joke. I have my 2006 6.0L straight piped and LOVE it. At WOT it sounds like a big block (363ci... so it kind of is), and when idling it does sound like a 747 taxiing down the runway which is a favorite of mine!
you'll be quite happy, and hopefully the wife will too

-nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode