I need schooling on fuel pump setup... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need schooling on fuel pump setup...

Just finished alot of work to the truck. Here in the next couple of months I am planning on getting an AirDog2 to protect my injector investment.
Now, I am running FF 190's with the Powermax and Eric's extreme street. 6.4l banjos along with the upgraded FPR spring. Normal driving around without romping on it, the fuel pressure stays at 68psi. When I get on it pretty good, it drops to 60. Now, yesterday, I really mashed it to the floor and the pressure plumeted to 20 (not good and won't do that again).
So, I am in need of a different fuel system. I have heard many things on here about running a regulated return along with the AirDog2. I have read where people turn their pump way up, then regulate the pressure to the heads via the return. Others say the AD2 is sufficient enough with its own regulator.
Now that I know I can't really get on it, I will take it easy until the AD2 is in. Is the reg. return required? It is so expensive... Which AD is recommended. Looking at the 165. But would the pusher type original air dog work just as well??

School me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Lt. Negativity

I run the orginial Airdog 150 to my stock pump to the fuel bowl. After that I have a regulated return kit. From the back of the heads into a y-block to the stock pump as return. Mine runs great and no issues.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Im running the Airdog II DF-165 and It works great. I don't have a regulated return. Install was easy and simple. That would be my recommendation.

Down side, if your pump ever goes out you don't have your stock pump so be able to limp home.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would not bother with a regulated return with the Airdog but would consider adding a crossover on the back of the heads. I like my ADII 165.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Pgreen- didnt your pump go out on you? Have you had any reliability issues since? What pressure are you seeing when you are really getting on it? Can the AD2 keep up with 190s? Did you make your own crossover?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:14 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Add a fuel tank sump and your choice of the AD100, AD150 or the AD II. All will give you the fuel you need for the 190's.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondsman View Post
Pgreen- didnt your pump go out on you? Have you had any reliability issues since? What pressure are you seeing when you are really getting on it? Can the AD2 keep up with 190s? Did you make your own crossover?
Yes sir, the regulator in the pump went out. PureFlow sent me a new pump right out along with a ticket for the return ride. No issues with how it was handled and no issues with the new pump so far.

I don't have a crossover setup on mine because of my Vegistroke. The Vegistroke lines feed into the back of the heads and replaces the front banjo bolts with real check valves to keep the WVO from flowing back to the diesel tank. When I really romp on it I lose a bit more pressure than you guys will. I am blowing diesel past the check valve in the Vegistroke manifold and into the WVO tank at WOT. Not bad but enough that it is dropping me about 20 psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.