Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Doesn't look good

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Bodi 
#1 ·
So I was reading thru several pages in the forum to see what works,what does not,and how to make my truck reliable for the long haul.This is my first experience with the 6.0 and I bought 2 of them.After doing a few mods (basic tuner,exhaust,and intake) I see that I must do quite a bit more to keep it on the road.I have problems with my dually now like crappy mileage and less power and a code that says low voltage circuit to ficm.So now i guess its time for an ficm reprogram along with head studs,EGR delete,oil cooler,banjo bolts and stc?At this point in the game I assume that this will cost me a few THOUSAND dollars to make them right.The reason I sound like I am venting is because I feel that after spending 95k on 2 trucks they shouldn't need so much work.At any rate my dilemma is do I sell both and go to cummins or bite the bullet and mod?If i knew the mods would keep me happy and on the road I can live with that.......but that's a big if.:doh:The 250 is the wife's and although she has lead in her shoe its holding up even with 36" swampers and auto tranny,mine however,feels like it has half the power it once had.Even with 4.10's and a 6 speed manual,one reason being I am afraid to go past 2200RPM for fear of blowing something out so is this a prob? haha sorry I got on a roll and its long winded I know but I need some input from die hard ford fans since this one is in doubt.....great forum and thanks in advance

#2 ·
After selling a 2002 Cummins and going to a 2004 6.0 I have to say go to the Cummins. The 2004 Crew Cab is a very nice truck but the Newer Dodges are just as nice and have just as much room. Cummins do have issues but I have spend more money keeping my 6.0 reliable than I spent building my Trailer pulling Torque monster Cummins. If you are a True Ford guy take a look at the 6.4. I have driven the brand new Ford and I think it will be a Great motor but it has yet to be proven reliable long term in my opinion.
Good Luck!

#3 ·
If you have basic tools and are somewhat mechanically inclined, you can do all the work yourself and save thousands. I just upgraded injectors, turbo, headgaskets, studs, stc fitting, oil cooler (already deleted the egr cooler), glowplugs, water pump, thermostat, coolant filter, cat ec-1 coolant and a few other little things and spent less than $6k. I know it seems like alot, but I shouldn't have any problems for quite a while.
I made it 175000 on all stock stuff, original injectors and the only mod was the egr delete. These trucks are reliable and powerful.
Your lack of power and mileage could be just the egr valve all sooted up. You can pull it and clean it. It should be back to normal.

#4 ·
6.0's need to be run...if you arent running it hard now and then its likely to have problems.

Hence your wife's has no issues and yours is losing power....

Thad

#5 · (Edited)
The 6.0 can be a reliable and strong motor, there are plenty of owners out there that have not had issues. When you read these forums, it's usually somebody that is having trouble with there truck, same as if you were to go to a dodge or chevy forum.

The key to a happy 6.0 is to monitor the motor so you catch any arising issues, you'll need to do the same with a dodge or chevy. Your gonna need to monitor the EOT,ECT, EGT, and FP at the minimum. The EOT and ECT will monitor the condition of your oil cooler. If the delta between the two is greater than 15* while under normal driving conditions then the oil cooler is getting blocked up in the coolant passages of the oil cooler. EGT will help you keep the exhaust temps in check, also gives you a good idea if you have a IC boot rip. Fuel Pressure (FP) gauge will let you keep an eye on the psi, under 45 psi at any condition will shorten the life of the injectors. If you have an '05-'07 then the stock boost gauge is good, if you have an '03-'04 it would be a good idea to monitor the boost psi to let you know if your having issues with the VGT,IC boots, and up pipes.

The best bang for the buck on gauges is the Edge CS or CTS. this will monitor everything plus more,except the FP. Along with it being a monitor it will also let you read codes and clear them. Some of us prefer the analog gauges, it's a little more expensive for monitoring all that your gonna need. Another good investment is a good scan tool like Autoenginuity, this software will let you preform test almost as good as the dealer.

If your throwing a FICM code, then it's a good chance that it's on it's way out. You can test it your self with a multimeter. Heres how to test FICMPress.

Your also going to want to read up as much as you can about your motor so if issues arrive your gonna know what to do. Here is a link to the 6.0 manual with lots of info and locations of parts and sensors.http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-repair-help/1761-pdf-tech-manual.html

And here is another link to alot more info for the newbie. 6.0 Tech Files - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

#6 ·
Well I have to agree with Bodi....I took a look at the deletes and mods,figured cost of doing work vs paying to do it,then downtime while working on it etc....Then I took a ride in the cummins and WOW what a difference,although mine is losing power my wifes truck is still as strong as it has ever been and still it is nowhere near power of the cummins so I have sourced one out and am negotiating with them on a trade as we speak.I have seen what these trucks can do stock and lightly modded and I don't think I can get the same results with mine without spending a load.Do not get me wrong I love the Super Duty as far as looks and it is way more comfortable but I was blown away by the dodge.....I still like the ford and will keep the 250 for the wife.I have always thought that ford had the best looking trucks on the road and always will,as well as the nicest ride and interiors but this 6.0 has really left a bad taste.Not to mention FORD will try to get around any warranty claims from my local experience.And then theres the trade in value :doh: .....The 6.4 may be great but FORD will not gimme jack for mine and its from the 6.0 rep/issues (dealer words not mine) I know all trucks have issues no matter what brand but when the dealer will not back it up that speaks volumes to me and if I do 6k in mods I still suffer when it is time to trade up.However I love the forum and greatly appreciate all the help and will continue to be a member and maybe the wife's truck will be better.....after mods of course:thumb:

#7 ·
I wish you the best of luck with your dodge, my buddy just got an '04 cummins so I get to take a crash coarse of there known issues. From what I've found out the trannies in stock form are not that reliable. I believe the 2nd gens had issues with the injection pump. It's probably best to join a cummins forum that gets used alot to start reading up on your new investment.

I strongly recommend getting gauges or a monitor for each truck to help you trouble shoot issues and keep a eye on what the motors are doing.

#8 ·
Thanks alot...I have seen issues with the 2nd gen pumps and the auto trans is pretty weak,I guess I should have give a small descrip. of it.It's an 07 5.9 common rail mega cab with the 6sp man. with 30k....Best thing is that a lil gal in her early 70's was the orig owner so I don't think it was hot rodded too much lol.My uncles has an 07 and has enjoyed it alot and he traded in his 94 12v with 300k+ and no probs.I had also thought "if the trade falls thru,why can't I put a cummins in the super duty?".:woot:

#9 ·
Now your talking!! My ideal truck would be a ford body with a cummins, and aftermarket trans!! If it wasn't so damn expensive to convert over.:thumb:

#10 ·
I hope you enjoy it. As stated above I would monitor EGT, Boost and Fuel. A South Bend clutch will bullet proof the tranny. Put an Intake, 4" exhaust Edge chip, ATS exhaust manifold, in tank pusher pump if not already completed under warranty and an HT2B Turbo and you will have a Strong Bullet Proof Drivetrain. These trucks do have bump steer issues, a Johnny joint will help but I would replace all the tie rods with the new aftermarket (not sure what its called) setup. Ken Jones at Wild Diesel in Ogden is the best Dodge Guy I know. He is getting very good at 6.0 Fords thanks to me also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.