cheapest in long run, modify or keep warranty? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
cheapest in long run, modify or keep warranty?

Guys, what is your opinion.... my goal here is to have a truck that tows descent(im happy as of now but a little more performance would be good)... and an engine that lasts forever....

I run a DP tuner custom tow tune all the time, my truck tows a heavy trailer 90% of its miles... my truck is an 06 with only 24k miles... I installed a coolant filter long time ago as dealer was ok with that... i want to do studs/175s/powermax all at once sometime in the future when i have $10Gs to drop, but that will be some time... my question now is to live out the last two years of my 5 yr warranty, or install the gogo egr delete stage 1 kit(which will have some performance increase) and an Oil filtration and CCV mod... the dealer says these will void my warranty but at this point my truck has not ever given me a spot of trouble and i doubt it will.... I dont fully understand how much damage if any the EGR system is doing to my truck, the concept of pumping sooty exhaust back into the engine cannot be good..... anyway..... what is going to save me the most money in the long run, keep the warranty next two years just in case something major goes? or just give it up and delete the egr and get oil filtration, and start keeping my engine way cleaner sooner?

thanks for advice...

ps, im already decided on the gogo stage 1 and the oil bypass system from previous research so the brands/kits are not variables in the quesiton.... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Also, my tune has the EGR "programmed off" for what that is worth, i dont know if that really keeps the sooty exhaust from being pumped back into engine or not?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if the egr is turned off and or unpluged, there will be 0% exhaust flow to the intake.

Deleting or blocking the egr cooler is to remove the restriction in the exhaust flow to the turbo, and leaking water to the exhasut system.

You can also keep working your dealer to get them to put the arp studs under warranty.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM

if programming the egr off keeps the sooty exhaust out of my engine, then that makes me happy...i have a good relation with my dealer as of now, they say they cant do studs when my truck has no issues, because they have to ship all parts off to ford to be tested so something has to go wrong with my truck.... but they said if something does go, they will put the studs in and maybe even aftermarket injectors for me under warranty..... but im not the type to go try to make something go wrong, love my truck too much for that... but as of now if something does go wrong i will work with them to get the studs...
Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
if programming the egr off keeps the sooty exhaust out of my engine, then that makes me happy...i have a good relation with my dealer as of now, they say they cant do studs when my truck has no issues, because they have to ship all parts off to ford to be tested so something has to go wrong with my truck.... but they said if something does go, they will put the studs in and maybe even aftermarket injectors for me under warranty.....

but im not the type to go try to make something go wrong, love my truck too much for that... I agree 100%

but as of now if something does go wrong i will work with them to get the studs...
I am seting up my oil bypass system so that I can easily take it off and on with out hassel just in case I need to go to the dealer. They are also fine with my coolant filter beeing there.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 PM

Another option instead of an egr delete would be the bulletproof upgraded cooler (they wont be able to tell it was changed as easily) it should keep you warranty intact.
2 years is alot of warranty to give up, since murphy's law tends to follow me around alot if I let them void my warranty I would lose my HG the very next day.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I would keep saving up for when warranty does run out. If for some reason in the future they decide to deny a claim or something then I would go the upgrades route. It's nice to know that if something major goes wrong that your truck is covered. I have an extended ESP plan on mine which is not anywhere as good as the original 100k warranty and it has already paid for itself between an alternator and a new turbo.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 PM

thanks for the advice guys, if having the EGR programmed off is keeping the soot out of my engine, im happy with that, i will just save up and ride out the warranty, once its done, im mod'in this thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.