BOV Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BOV Questions

So i have had my EGR delete installed for almost 6 months now. Have noticed that if I get on it (floor pedal) and abruptly let all the way out of it, it will make a weird sound. As if there is air coming back out my intake. So have been crusing around on here trying to find a tread about this. I found one In the 7.3 section. They have a video of a dodge sounds just like mine does. They called it (turbo Farts) So I ask them what to do to fix it?? They quickly refer me back to my kind. So here I am, what do I need to get now guy's BOV , Waste gate , any info would be great thanks. And glad to be back with MY KIND .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

It is turbo fart and they only way I know if to get rid of it is a BOV. Most techs say that it's generally nothing to worry about.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

They said in the dreaded 7.3 section it is the sound of your turbo stoping and spinning the other direction. Dosent sound like anything I want happing. Also i really dont want the blow off sound, trucks to big to sound like a ricer!!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its nothing to worry about. just the boost that the turbo created that when you let off has no where to go but back out the way it came.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Mine does the same thing...especially when cold. Some people say it is fine and others have said it is bad for the turbo.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06powerstroke06 View Post
Its nothing to worry about. just the boost that the turbo created that when you let off has no where to go but back out the way it came.
yea this isnt good.and i completely disagree about not worrying about it.anytime something that spins at 100,000+ rpms and then stops and spins the other way and back again is never good for the shaft or bearings of said object.and this is what is happening when this sound occurs.there are several ways to fix this problem.i wont start another back and forth arguement like what happened in the 7.3 section....so here are your options....upgrade your turbo(new wheels,housings, complete turbo) change what psi your boost bleeds out of your waste gate(egr on stock but yours is deleted) so buy a new waste gate, or buy a bov set up(if you dont like the sound and try really hard you might be able to find a recirculating one.).anyway all your decision.just know that once your turbo makes contact with the housing because it didnt seem important and pieces of the turbo then make it to your valves and pistons and destroy your eng,its no longer a turbo problem.i hope i have been the most informative about this as i can be.if you have any other questions please pm me and ill try to explain it better or more in depth.trust me that your turbo was only designed to spin one way.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to lowrthnu92 Send a message via Yahoo to lowrthnu92
6.0s dont have waste gates, VGT handles boost regulation
Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 AM

you can allways route your bov back into the intake. I've seen this before. Doesn't seem logical but it does quiet it down a lot. the closer to your air cleaner the better so your not just shooting that pressure back through the system. My skyline had the bov vented just behind the air cleaner. It was still noticable under high boost but not nearly as bad as it was just dumped to the atmosphere.

Paul
Old 11-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you drive normal, and don't take the motor to high RPM and let off quickly, you won't have a need for a BOV.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pwrstrokr6.4 View Post
yea this isnt good.and i completely disagree about not worrying about it.anytime something that spins at 100,000+ rpms and then stops and spins the other way and back again is never good for the shaft or bearings of said object.and this is what is happening when this sound occurs.there are several ways to fix this problem.i wont start another back and forth arguement like what happened in the 7.3 section....so here are your options....upgrade your turbo(new wheels,housings, complete turbo) change what psi your boost bleeds out of your waste gate(egr on stock but yours is deleted) so buy a new waste gate, or buy a bov set up(if you dont like the sound and try really hard you might be able to find a recirculating one.).anyway all your decision.just know that once your turbo makes contact with the housing because it didnt seem important and pieces of the turbo then make it to your valves and pistons and destroy your eng,its no longer a turbo problem.i hope i have been the most informative about this as i can be.if you have any other questions please pm me and ill try to explain it better or more in depth.trust me that your turbo was only designed to spin one way.
so I know you have been very informative on this subject both here and the 7.3 section. I would like to post answers up here not only for myself but others to view as well. I do have an EGR delete installed so what part of it was the waste gate. And if this does affect the performance of something else why is that never addressed with the EGR delete kits. Should a waste gate be installed on exhaust side or intake?? Once again totally new to turbo and just trying to gain knowledge and inform others along the way. Thanks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.