EGR/Oil Cooler which plugs up first? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:42 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR/Oil Cooler which plugs up first?

Does the EGR plug from sand/castings first and cause the oil Cooler to starve of coolant or does the Oil Cooler plug first and cause the EGR to starve of coolant?
Or am I miss understanding the entire EGR/Oil Cooler concerns??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The oil cooler is the first to clog. Check the link in my sig for more info.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Does the EGR plug from sand/castings first and cause the oil Cooler to starve of coolant or does the Oil Cooler plug first and cause the EGR to starve of coolant?
Or am I miss understanding the entire EGR/Oil Cooler concerns??
As the coolant goes thru the motor, it goes thru the oil cooler before it goes to the egr cooler. The oil cooler is a has coolant passages running thru it to cool the oil. The coolant passages in the oil cooler are very small compared to the egr cooler, these coolant passages in the oil cooler get clogged up from casting sand and silicate fallout and block up the the very small coolant passages. Once oil cooler coolant passages clog up, you don't get good (if any) coolant flow to the egr cooler. When there is no coolant getting to the egr cooler, the super hot exhaust gasses (800*+) damage the passages in the egr cooler.

Also when the oil cooler gets blocked up, it doesn't cool the oil down either. This will cause the motor to have a meltdown of the plastic internals of the oil filter stand tube which will destroy the motor.

This is why it is so important to monitor ECT and EOT, even if you do the egr cooler delete.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the explanantion I now understand. I have an Edge insight and the latest computer flash that is supposed to give me a check engine light if I have greater than a 15' difference between the ECT and EOT. I have seen my EOT has high as 18' above my ECT while pulling my boat up a 10 mile pass in Utah at 1150-1200 EGT's. The ECT was 211' and the EOT was 228' but i never got a check engine light. When the truck returns to flat ground The ECT is usually higher than the EOT while towing 8K pounds.
Is it normal to have as high as a 20' difference between EOT and ECT when pulling a heavy load longer than 10 minutes during summer heat?
Old 10-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Thanks for the explanantion I now understand. I have an Edge insight and the latest computer flash that is supposed to give me a check engine light if I have greater than a 15' difference between the ECT and EOT. I have seen my EOT has high as 18' above my ECT while pulling my boat up a 10 mile pass in Utah at 1150-1200 EGT's. The ECT was 211' and the EOT was 228' but i never got a check engine light. When the truck returns to flat ground The ECT is usually higher than the EOT while towing 8K pounds.
Is it normal to have as high as a 20' difference between EOT and ECT when pulling a heavy load longer than 10 minutes during summer heat?
I have had in 90+ degrees pulling my 14k 5er on a 6% grade over 6 miles with ECT-218 and EOT-228 but i have never had the EOT cooler than the ECT the oil is always hotter with the EGTs running around 1250 deg. if i go over that i back off.
2 stroker
Old 10-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

This is why.

Here are a couple picks of the oil cooler cut away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.