Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR/Oil Cooler which plugs up first?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  amdriven2liv 
#1 ·
Does the EGR plug from sand/castings first and cause the oil Cooler to starve of coolant or does the Oil Cooler plug first and cause the EGR to starve of coolant?
Or am I miss understanding the entire EGR/Oil Cooler concerns??

#3 ·
As the coolant goes thru the motor, it goes thru the oil cooler before it goes to the egr cooler. The oil cooler is a has coolant passages running thru it to cool the oil. The coolant passages in the oil cooler are very small compared to the egr cooler, these coolant passages in the oil cooler get clogged up from casting sand and silicate fallout and block up the the very small coolant passages. Once oil cooler coolant passages clog up, you don't get good (if any) coolant flow to the egr cooler. When there is no coolant getting to the egr cooler, the super hot exhaust gasses (800*+) damage the passages in the egr cooler.

Also when the oil cooler gets blocked up, it doesn't cool the oil down either. This will cause the motor to have a meltdown of the plastic internals of the oil filter stand tube which will destroy the motor.

This is why it is so important to monitor ECT and EOT, even if you do the egr cooler delete.

#4 ·
Thanks for the explanantion I now understand. I have an Edge insight and the latest computer flash that is supposed to give me a check engine light if I have greater than a 15' difference between the ECT and EOT. I have seen my EOT has high as 18' above my ECT while pulling my boat up a 10 mile pass in Utah at 1150-1200 EGT's. The ECT was 211' and the EOT was 228' but i never got a check engine light. When the truck returns to flat ground The ECT is usually higher than the EOT while towing 8K pounds.
Is it normal to have as high as a 20' difference between EOT and ECT when pulling a heavy load longer than 10 minutes during summer heat?

#5 ·
I have had in 90+ degrees pulling my 14k 5er on a 6% grade over 6 miles with ECT-218 and EOT-228 but i have never had the EOT cooler than the ECT the oil is always hotter with the EGTs running around 1250 deg. if i go over that i back off.
2 stroker:icon_ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.