Ok, spend my money... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 08:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok, spend my money...

Well, kinda/sorta... I'm somewhat at a standstill.
Right now, the 05 CC FX4 is doing fine, minus some long starts and needing a 4" lift. So what are the steps to take in the correct order, or is there a correct order?

What I've got so far... 4" TBE (and 4" downpipe), no cat, S&B CAI, studded with Black Onyx gaskets, Sinister EGR delete, SCT TSX with Eric's tunes (X-street, street, tow), pyro for the TSX, and currently sitting on 35/12.5/20 Mud terrains with a spacer lift and factory 3.73s.

Mods in mind are: AirDog II, turbo upgrade (not sure on model), intercooler upgrade (Banks?), injectors from IDP (50hp tow), 4.10 gearing, possibly the GoGo intake (for even airflow and it's ported), FICM tuning, coolant filter, and maybe an upgraded oil filtration system.

My goal is around 500+ hp while still remaining reliable enough for use as a work truck and making round trips to work (400+ miles, one way). I'm not a drag racer, but I enjoy having the extra power for sure. I don't mind spending the money as long as I get a good, reliable return. The truck will spend it's life with me on 35-36" tires and a mild lift. I don't tow much on the upside of 8K, but it's a possibility. Usual trailer weight is 4-6K on an open trailer. Does the engine/transmission require anything internally to make this kind of power and live a good life? It's my first diesel that I've owned and been able to work on, everything else was company owned work trucks. I'll be doing all the wrench time and I have several spare vehicles if something takes more than a day or two, so turnaround isn't a high priority.

Last question, the tunes from Eric haven't given me any trouble and I can't thank him enough for such a great product. Even cured a chug/stutter problem I had on long hills @ 73-75 MPH, but I need to do the STC and dummy plugs in the next month or so, just to be safe. My local dealership isn't quite up to speed on some things, so price on parts and actual Ford part numbers would be appreciated, instructions would be even better. Hey, it's my first Powerstroke, but it's not my first engine. I'd love to have time to research all this, but I'm out in the gulf getting oil outta the ground to make Shell V-power and Rotella.

BTW, we have an awesome lubricants guide (confidential issue) that lists all the properties of Shell oils. If anyone has questions about something, I'd be glad to look it up.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I do realize that I'm the elevenhundrethpointofivethousandth person to ask this question, I'd just rather get information from people who know from experience than a sales rep on the phone.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Flush the coolant and switch to ELC (I added that one), Oil Bypass filter, FICM tune, Airdog II, I'd do the gogo intake, injectors, and turbo all at the same time even if you have to buy them and wait to install them until you have all 3. Or at least the manifold and turbo at the same time. The gogo intake will lower your egt's better than the Banks Intercooler so do it first then if your EGT's are high you can do the banks.

The 4.10 gearing isn't enough of a change unless you are changing diff anyway.
Garrett Powermax GT3788VA turbo (direct bolt on- about $1200 with no core charge)
Casserly injectors. 155cc or 175 cc. That should get you to your goal and still give you a dependable daily driver with good street manners. Your engine will hold the power. You may end up doing some tranny work down the road or not. Depends how hard you hammer it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.