Exhaust and Intake opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Exhaust and Intake opinions

I recently bought a used 2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 and pretty sure I have a blown EGR cooler so I'm ordering parts for that repair and all the other weak links of the 6.0.

I'm not looking to race the truck and I drive fairly conservatively and will pull a 10K load on occasion. I'm looking to try to increase my MPG as much as possible and have a reliable truck.

Since I will be needing the SCT tuner to keep my CEL from coming on I'm sure I'll be putting a little performance tune in as well so my questions are first will I need an exhaust system to prevent the EGT from running too high? If so what's your recommendation for exhaust, I'm not wanting stacks or anything that is very loud, just a good flowing system to help EGT and MPG #'s. Cat delete? Muffler delete? 4" or 5"?

I have heard the stock intake is pretty decent for these trucks but was looking for a reusable air filter instead of a disposable $75 filter. Looked at S&B and they claim better filtration and air flow than stock. Want to keep good filtration over air flow and again I'm not looking for top end performance from this truck just good torque for pulling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Unless you are going for 500hp+, keep the stock intake. As for the exhaust, I have a 4" with no cat and do have a muffler. Sounds good, actually its quiet.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
ya if you dont want loud do a 4 inch exhaust with a muffler and no cat. makes for a good rumble and not ridiculously loud. diamond eye is what i bought, its the cheapest i could find for stainless, and is holding up great
Old 10-25-2010, 05:06 PM

SCT with innovative tuning, Their FICM, S&B is a good filter to chose. Do either cat and muf delete pipes or a 4" turbo back.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You didn't specify what parts you have ordered to fix your problem with the egr cooler. If you haven't done so already you need to rebuild the oil cooler since it is the cause of the egr cooler failure. While you are at it you might as well replace the HPOP reservoir screen under the oil cooler and change the STC fitting and dummy plugs in the heads.

Flush the cooling system with VC-9 and Restore to get rid of the silicate residue then refill with a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant (red). This will prevent the oil cooler clogging with silicate crud in the future.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Haven't ordered anything yet, still making a list but the STC fitting, oil cooler, screen and dummy plugs are all planned. I don't know about tackling the head studs right now as I currently don't have the space and time needed to feel comfortable with that job for now. I do need some more info on the coolant, didn't know that the coolant had silicate that was causing the screen to stop up.

I haven't studied the relationship of the oil cooler causing the egr cooler to fail, can you explain how this happens. Also since I am a fairly conservative driver, by putting a custom performance and or towing tune on the truck what do you suppose the odds are of causing some blown head gaskets if I don't dog the truck? Thanks for all the info guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.