6.0 upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 upgrades

I have been learning about the problems that the 6.0 has. I just purchased an 04 6.0 and after reading the many comments, I feel an upgrade of the head studes, egr and oil cooler seems to be a nessiccity. After these upgrades come the fun stuff...am I wrong in my thinking? Any advice will be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 10:32 AM
back to business

You're on the right track.

Do a lot of reading on here and other sites so you get all the other "little" things while you're in there. You listed the biggies though.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are different effective ways you can to with the egr system.
Spend the money for a delete kit
Weld block a block plate on the egr cooler and or Unplug the egr valve.

^^These will all prevent exhaust flow.

Or Spend the money on the Bullet Proof EGR cooler replacement. The system will still flow but cooler will not fail.

Canceling the exhaust flow through the egr system is preferred.

$398 ARP
6.0L Powerstroke Stud Kit
This is the cheapest I have found for ARP studs.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Guess I need to hit the books again....
Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You have a very good start. I would also suggest getting gauges before the performance mods start. IMHO stock trucks need gauges.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 PM

My cool friend had same problem had done repairs on injectors, glow plugs. The mechanic told him it is common problem with 6.0L. Since I learn that they had fixed the problem on late 05 model. So wondering if my 06 PSD already modified and corrected the problem so I don't have to do modification? Or still having same problem anyway?

DHB
Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeder View Post
I have been learning about the problems that the 6.0 has. I just purchased an 04 6.0 and after reading the many comments, I feel an upgrade of the head studes, egr and oil cooler seems to be a nessiccity. After these upgrades come the fun stuff...am I wrong in my thinking? Any advice will be greatly appreciated...
Head studs and gaskets are not a forgone conclusion. I suggest you get an Edge insight and monitor what is going on with your ECT and EOT to get a feel for the condition of your oil cooler. If the temps look ok then I would flush it good with VC-9 and then with Restore to get the silicate residue out. Fill it with a good ELC coolant. Do whatever you are going to do with the egr cooler (delete or replace with Bulletproof cooler). Get your SCT and Tunes. The chances are good that with the ELC coolant and the egr cooler addressed your head gaskets will last for quite a long time. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket and you just want to replace the head gaskets and have it studded to get it out of the way there is no problem doing that but I'd hold off till they were needed. I ran my truck for 2.5 yrs with hot tunes with no studs or gasket issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardbiker View Post
My cool friend had same problem had done repairs on injectors, glow plugs. The mechanic told him it is common problem with 6.0L. Since I learn that they had fixed the problem on late 05 model. So wondering if my 06 PSD already modified and corrected the problem so I don't have to do modification? Or still having same problem anyway?

DHB
What problems are you referring to? Injector stiction is a known issue with these motors. I believe it is related to varnish build up from running dino oil and that running a good synthetic will prevent that from happening. If you start to develop injector stiction 2 bottles of Rev-X in your oil will cure it 99.9% of the time. I am not aware of any issue with glow plugs.

Your 06 has some upgrades from the 03-04 but there are still others that should be done depending on what work you are doing. If you have to rebuild the oil cooler it is a good idea to replace the STC fitting on the HPOP and the dummy plugs in the heads. Also the screen for the HPOP reservoir under the oil cooler.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 10-26-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the new direction. No, I do not have money burning my pocket as most of us, so looking at this picture will save a dollars until I can figure out what is going on. Thanks again..
Old 10-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Lots of info on here.....
EGR delete
replace oil cooler
install coolant filter (prevents oil cooler from clogging again)
ccv mod (redirects crankcase gases through a filter, then back to the intake)
fuel pressure regulator spring update (longevity of injectors)
arp studs
vr or black onyx head gaskets gaskets

Look around..... I love this place. Before you know it, you will be an expert on your engine.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondsman View Post
Lots of info on here.....
EGR delete
replace oil cooler
install coolant filter (prevents oil cooler from clogging again)
ccv mod (redirects crankcase gases through a filter, then back to the intake)
fuel pressure regulator spring update (longevity of injectors)
arp studs
vr or black onyx head gaskets gaskets

Look around..... I love this place. Before you know it, you will be an expert on your engine.
Installing a coolant filter is a good idea but it is no guarantee that the oil cooler won't clog again. You need to switch to an ELC coolant and get rid of the Ford Gold coolant. That is the source of the poroblem. Ask Evil Eye how many oil coolers he went through AFTER he installed a coolant filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.