Newby here looking for mod opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newby here looking for mod opinions

Hello, I'm new to this site and diesel trucks and would like some suggestions for where to start on mods since I'm in need of deleting my EGR cooler and will need a SCT custom tune to by-pass the CEL once doing this.

I bought a 2005 F250 FX4 CC 6.0L with 115K miles and after the fact noticed coolant level keeps droping and no sign of where it's going other than a steamy exhaust. I had intended to drive the truck stock for awhile before putting much $$$ into it to make sure it would work out for my needs but I need to correct this problem now and I think I am liking the truck well enough to keep it for several years, it sure handled the 10K lb load I pulled today very well, this is my first 3/4 ton truck.

I'm planning on doing the EGR delete, upgraded oil cooler, STC fitting, dummy plugs, upgraded trubo drain tube and clean the turbo myself for now, wanted to do the head studs but currently don't have the facilities and time to tackle that job right now so one question is what is the odds of me having head gasket troubles by putting a tune on the truck even though I am a fairly light footed driver? I'd like a bit more bottom and mid range torque to get the truck moving a little freeer but I'm not looking to race it or dog it.

First I'm looking relability, second a MPG increase and then to free up a few ponies. After doing the things listed above what would be a good next easy step? Exhaust, intake? I'm sure I probably need to install an EGT gauge, is there a stock sensor that can be monitored for this or do you have to drill and tap for a new sensor?

Sorry guys for the long post, again I'm new to this 6.0 creature but I have been reading up alot on it and I'd like to hear some of your opinions on upgrades you think would best suit me for the way I'd use the truck which is occasional heavy towing and looking for reliability and better economy but not trying to make a race truck. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRMC02 View Post
Hello, I'm new to this site and diesel trucks and would like some suggestions for where to start on mods since I'm in need of deleting my EGR cooler and will need a SCT custom tune to by-pass the CEL once doing this.

I bought a 2005 F250 FX4 CC 6.0L with 115K miles and after the fact noticed coolant level keeps droping and no sign of where it's going other than a steamy exhaust. I had intended to drive the truck stock for awhile before putting much $$$ into it to make sure it would work out for my needs but I need to correct this problem now and I think I am liking the truck well enough to keep it for several years, it sure handled the 10K lb load I pulled today very well, this is my first 3/4 ton truck.

I'm planning on doing the EGR delete, upgraded oil cooler, STC fitting, dummy plugs, upgraded trubo drain tube and clean the turbo myself for now, wanted to do the head studs but currently don't have the facilities and time to tackle that job right now so one question is what is the odds of me having head gasket troubles by putting a tune on the truck even though I am a fairly light footed driver? I'd like a bit more bottom and mid range torque to get the truck moving a little freeer but I'm not looking to race it or dog it.

First I'm looking relability, second a MPG increase and then to free up a few ponies. After doing the things listed above what would be a good next easy step? Exhaust, intake? I'm sure I probably need to install an EGT gauge, is there a stock sensor that can be monitored for this or do you have to drill and tap for a new sensor?

Sorry guys for the long post, again I'm new to this 6.0 creature but I have been reading up alot on it and I'd like to hear some of your opinions on upgrades you think would best suit me for the way I'd use the truck which is occasional heavy towing and looking for reliability and better economy but not trying to make a race truck. Thanks
Well it's a drill and tap look here
3-Gauge Install Pictures
I like the Edge Insight with pyro and dash pod
Get a fuel pressure gauge and the adapter
6.0L Fuel Pressure Adapter
Install Pictures
any thing under 45 lbs at WOT kills injectors
Hope this helps
2 stroker
Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
I like the Edge Insight with pyro and dash pod
Get a fuel pressure gauge and the adapter any thing under 45 lbs at WOT kills injectors Hope this helps

2 stroker
Good advice right there. the Edge Insight is the best bang for the buck monitor out there. You obviosly need one right now because I'll bet that your oil cooler is FUBAR. The Insight will let you monitor Coolant Temp and Oil Temp. At operating temps and just normal cruising if they are more that 15* apart your oil cooler is clogged or clogging. I'll bet yours would be displaying high oil temps.

DO NOT TOW UNTIL YOU GET THIS FIXED or you will be replacing head gaskets if that isn't needed already.

It seems as though your EGR cooler is ruptured. Jack the back of the truck up so the nose is down hill. Pull the EGR valve and see if it is wet in there with antifreeze. I expect that it is. This will let you know your egr cooler is ruptured. If it ruptured it is because the oil cooler is clogged. That's the progression. If you continue to operate in this condition the head gaskets will go (if they haven't already) and possibly worse thing like warped heads. If the egr cooler rupture gets bad enough your engine will hydrolock and then your really FUBAR. So fix it now.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:28 AM

Like PGreen said if it is damp EGR cooler this may help when you go to clean it if you have never been there
Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Technician Society
and if you need a cooler here is one of the better one's
BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0
or if you are going to delete
RCD EGR Cooler Delete
GoGoDiesel EGR Delete System The most advanced EGR delete system for your 6.0L Powerstroke.
Hope this helps
2 stroker
Old 10-15-2010, 02:46 PM

I pulled the EGR valve the other day and didn't see any antifreeze standing in there but it did apear a bit damp. I'm going to do the work as soon as I can get some parts in. I was just looking opinions of what else to do while I have it down with the turbo and intake off of it.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:05 PM

while your at it, clean up the turbo too
Old 10-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Hey man welcome to the 6oh cummunity. Sorry to hear about your misfortune with your truck. I am pretty new to these trucks too. Ive had my 2005 f250 xlt psd for about a month now and there is a lot of info on here about these trucks and these engines. I started my mods with a 4" turbo back mbrp exhaust and a sct x3 tuner with custom tunes from Eric at innovative diesel. This really woke my truck up she really hauls a$$ now. I was told that the stock intake on our trucks is more than sufficient up to around 500hp. Just thought I would give ya some ideas for some mods once ya get your truck back to normal. Good Luck!!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:58 PM

I heard about the same as far as the stock intake being sufficient but is there a filter element out that will clean about as good as the stock one that is cleanable and reusable, $75 for an air filter change will get a bit pricey after awhile, just going off the price I saw for a Fram at Wal-Mart.

Here some talk about the Edge Insight, anyone know which would be the best to go with I see a model 83400, a CS and CTS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.