6.0 tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 tuner

I'm a 7.3 guy so don't know what's out there for the 6.0 but a guy at work is lookin for something he has the hypertech setup now but has had nothin but problems with it and has had no help from the company so he is lookin for something else. He wants something kinda like what he has he doesn't want to put gauges on it. It's a manual and for upgrades he has a 4" exhaust and intake he doesn't tow alot just his 19' sled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
He needs an EGT gauge at a minimum no matter what tuner he puts on it.

Being a 6.0 look into an SCT with custom tunes
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 AM

Well he wants gauges but something that has gauges with it the o e he has now has the screen and that's kinda what he is lookin for.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 AM

You have to be kidding NO gauges on a 6.0 with tunes better start reading up on this EGR-ECT-EOT-Fuel Pressure. I'm not into tunes but i am into gauges. If you are after a good tune then go with the SCT
2 stroker
Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 AM

Well I kinda misslead the no gauges thing he doesn't want to put in gauges he wants something that is a programmer with the gauge display with it
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM

Well the only Gauge/tuner that I know of that has CUSTOM tune capability is the Livewire. I am in the middle of researching myself to see which route I want to go.

The only other options I know of that offer a Gauge/Tuner in one are items like the Edge Evolution or Bully Dog and I am sure Banks has something but from what I have found this are not compatible with custom tunes so you are stuck with the 3 or 4 PRELOADED tunes that come on the unit. From what I have read on here, the majority of guys on this org are of the opinion that preloaded or "Canned" tunes are garbage and the only way to go is custom tunes. But I have also seen plenty of comments from guys that run the Evolution Canned tunes and they like them and haven't had any issues with them.

A lot of people claim the Canned can be bad for the truck. I don't fully understand why a preloaded tune of a certain horse power is different than a custom. Maybe someone can chime in.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy06 View Post
Well the only Gauge/tuner that I know of that has CUSTOM tune capability is the Livewire. I am in the middle of researching myself to see which route I want to go.

The only other options I know of that offer a Gauge/Tuner in one are items like the Edge Evolution or Bully Dog and I am sure Banks has something but from what I have found this are not compatible with custom tunes so you are stuck with the 3 or 4 PRELOADED tunes that come on the unit. From what I have read on here, the majority of guys on this org are of the opinion that preloaded or "Canned" tunes are garbage and the only way to go is custom tunes. But I have also seen plenty of comments from guys that run the Evolution Canned tunes and they like them and haven't had any issues with them.

A lot of people claim the Canned can be bad for the truck. I don't fully understand why a preloaded tune of a certain horse power is different than a custom. Maybe someone can chime in.
The guys running any tuner that changes stuff on the fly are kidding themselves right up until something blows up. Those devices work by intercepting sensor data and feeding the PCM false information to get it to change how it responds. An SCT actually loads new programming and parameters into the PCM so it responds directly to the actual input it gets from the sensors. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which approach is the correct one and why.

Canned tunes are a generic compromise just like the factory tune is. They are programmed to work on the widest range of vehicles possible so they don't do any of them very well. A custom tune is written specifically for your truck with your mods and tailored to the way you want it to act. Again not hard to see why one is better than the other.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
If he wants something like that tell him to look into the Edge insight CTS along with an SCT x3 for custom tunes.

Or the SCT TSX but the combo above is cheaper
Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The guys running any tuner that changes stuff on the fly are kidding themselves right up until something blows up. Those devices work by intercepting sensor data and feeding the PCM false information to get it to change how it responds. An SCT actually loads new programming and parameters into the PCM so it responds directly to the actual input it gets from the sensors. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which approach is the correct one and why.

Canned tunes are a generic compromise just like the factory tune is. They are programmed to work on the widest range of vehicles possible so they don't do any of them very well. A custom tune is written specifically for your truck with your mods and tailored to the way you want it to act. Again not hard to see why one is better than the other.

Glad to see it was you that spoke up on this PGreen, I usually like the information you provide it seems like it is back up and not just because that is what you did for YOUR truck.

So I understand the blocking and substituting of the Canned. But from reading on the Egde website, they claim that the Evolution does remove and save the stock tune, then uploads one of their power or tow tunes or whatever. Is this not the same concept as the SCT? Just with a more generic tune?

Also, I was looking for your input on one of the other threads you made an appearance in. It is one of the last posts and the thread "My 6.0 upgrade list. Too Much?".
Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy06 View Post
Glad to see it was you that spoke up on this PGreen, I usually like the information you provide it seems like it is back up and not just because that is what you did for YOUR truck.

So I understand the blocking and substituting of the Canned. But from reading on the Egde website, they claim that the Evolution does remove and save the stock tune, then uploads one of their power or tow tunes or whatever. Is this not the same concept as the SCT? Just with a more generic tune?

Also, I was looking for your input on one of the other threads you made an appearance in. It is one of the last posts and the thread "My 6.0 upgrade list. Too Much?".
Lucy, if this is what they are doing then yes this is more like the way SCT does it but my understanding of the Edge tunes is they don't address transmission tuning and if you increase power you need to make adjustments in how the trans handles it if you want the trans to live. The Edge has a reputation for not being kind to transmissions.

I still think the best combo going is the Edge Insight or CS/CTS for monitoring and the SCT X3 for tuning. That happens to be my setup but if there was a better way to do it I would consider changing. In fact if they get their act together and actually release other senders to tie in to the CTS as they claim they will I will probably upgrade mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.