6.0 is it dependable - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 is it dependable

I've herd a lot of tell about the 6.0. Haveing a lot of problems. I bought an 04 f250 with a 6.0 and I was woundering if this is true about the 6.0 and if so are their any any upgrades and or modifications I can make to make it more dependable and perform beter. I bought for myself to pull trailers and work around my farm but my wife is haveing to use it as her primary vehicle right now . Her van finaly bit the dust and I can't by another vehicle right now so I want to be sure that the truck is going to be ok for her and the kids out and about while their running back and forth to school and running errands. Any ideas or recamendations would be greatly appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I've herd a lot of tell about the 6.0. Haveing a lot of problems. I bought an 04 f250 with a 6.0 and I was woundering if this is true about the 6.0 and if so are their any any upgrades and or modifications I can make to make it more dependable and perform beter. I bought for myself to pull trailers and work around my farm but my wife is haveing to use it as her primary vehicle right now . Her van finaly bit the dust and I can't by another vehicle right now so I want to be sure that the truck is going to be ok for her and the kids out and about while their running back and forth to school and running errands. Any ideas or recamendations would be greatly appriciated.

To start with get a coolent filter ASAP http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324 Get a good set of gauges i like the Edge Insight so you can keep an eye on the ECT&EOT the max difference in temps is 15 degrees. A fuel pressure gauge because anything under 45 lbs will kill injectors. Then if you want to keep the oil clean install a oil by-pass and use synthetic oil
2 stroker
Old 10-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

you left out the most important part, address the egr system. you either need to delete the cooler or upgrade it, and when you do rebuild your oil cooler.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:36 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
Welcome to the Org. Where are you located? The main thing you want to do is keep up the maintenance on these beasts. Another good idea is to delete the EGR, if that is possible in your area. That is why I ask where you are located. That is a weak spot for these trucks. I am sure there will be others come along with all kinds of things you can do to your truck. Again, welcome to the org.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the short answer is YES it is dependable
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yes, they are dependable! BUT, they depend on YOU to keep up on their maintenence, and drive/use them hard to keep things clean. Location has a lot to do with turbo vanes rusting IMO, and the EGR delete. DO NOT try and run the Ford gold coolant for more than 100k, because that's when the coolant starts to break down, and leave silica deposits in your oil cooler, eventually plugging it, and in turn popping the EGR cooler, then HG's, in that order
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Chapter Director

yes it is dependable i have an 03 6.0 w/127k miles and only 3 engine problems. set of injectors, water pump leak, and most recent FICM. but like stated before you need to keep up on the truck and drive it pretty hard every now and then or stuff will start going bad.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Yes, they are dependable! BUT, they depend on YOU to keep up on their maintenence, and drive/use them hard to keep things clean. Location has a lot to do with turbo vanes rusting IMO, and the EGR delete. DO NOT try and run the Ford gold coolant for more than 100k, because that's when the coolant starts to break down, and leave silica deposits in your oil cooler, eventually plugging it, and in turn popping the EGR cooler, then HG's, in that order
You absolutely don't want to run that coolant at all. Flush the system really well and replace the coolant with ELC from Cat, Rotella, Fleetrite, Zerex. These are silicate free. While what Nick said above may be true the real problem with the silicates is that they can't handle the temps encountered when passing through the egr cooler trying to cool high egt's. The silicates turn into a gell like substance and fall out of suspension. Then they clog the oil cooler. That causes the egr cooler to fail and then the head gaskets.

The good news is YOU can prevent this from happening. Get a set of gauges Like the Edge Insight and monitor your coolant temp and your oil temp. If these get more than 15* apart under normal cruising conditions your oil cooler is becoming clogged. (If you switched to ELC this probably wouldn't be happening to you) Get it fixed immediately. Do not drive it around with the oil cooler clogged. This is what causes the problems. Most of the bad rep of the 6.0 can be attributed to owners not monitoring ECT and EOT and continuing to drive with the oil cooler clogged until something blows. If you watch these temps you can probably get away without blowing your egr cooler or head gaskets.

Be anal about keeping your oil and filters changed and in my opinion use a quality synthetic. This will keep your injectors healthy and happy.

Finally don't drive it like your grandma would. That's the kiss of death to the turbo on these. It has to be exercised to stay healthy. That means seeing full boost on a regular basis.

Now it is still a good idea to delete the egr system if you can and if you can't replace the egr cooler with the upgraded one from Bulletproof Diesel. It is a much sturdier unit.

Do these and yes your truck will be as dependable as any and more than some.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info ill take all the info you can give I've already had to put a high pressure oil pump on it and it wasn't cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.