SCT programmer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT programmer

Thinking about ditching my Hypertec & going with the SCT. Which model do I need & someone help me understand custom tunes & how to go about doing/getting them. I have stock intake & 4" turbo back Magna flow with cat delete. I only use my truck for pulling a 16k camper. I drive this truck less than 8k a yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anyone have any info?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Any SCT will work, doesn't matter which model, just make sure to get custom tunes from Matt @ Gearhead or Eric at Innovative.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just switched from a Superchips Flashpaq to an SCT X3. Custom tunes are the only way to go. I'm testing mine out now using IDP Eric's aggressive tow tune on my 5er. Pulling a heavy load you'll definitely want to get gauges to monitor your EGT's, EOT, ECT and Trans. A lot of guys on the ORG use the SCT X3 with either regular pillar gauges or the edge insight. Either way your going to like the SCT as I've had mine only a little over a week and love it.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 PM

Go SCT
Go with the canned tunes
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatsu3816 View Post
Go SCT
Go with the canned tunes
WHY?? Custom tunes are twice as good than the canned tunes. I mean, hello, you have Gearhead tunes in your truck!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM

hardly twice as good, i ran the street tune for awhile and loved it plus i dialed in the transmission how i wanted it. Then i got bored and bought the SRL while it does seem to have some more power the canned tune was just fine. not to put the blame on the tune because i ran it, but it has puked twice since on the SRL obviously making more boost therefore pushing past the gasket. FYI, ECT EOTnever more than 10* part, no white smoke or coolant
Basically what im saying is if your gonna run tunes i recommend keeping them MILD unless you get some studs, which the canned tunes can be set MILD
Old 10-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
hardly twice as good, i ran the street tune for awhile and loved it plus i dialed in the transmission how i wanted it. Then i got bored and bought the SRL while it does seem to have some more power the canned tune was just fine. not to put the blame on the tune because i ran it, but it has puked twice since on the SRL obviously making more boost therefore pushing past the gasket. FYI, ECT EOTnever more than 10* part, no white smoke or coolant
Basically what im saying is if your gonna run tunes i recommend keeping them MILD unless you get some studs, which the canned tunes can be set MILD
I dont see an EGR delete on your list.....you probably flash boiled your coolant in the cooler.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Matt tunes his files with less cylinder pressure than stock, so I think that your gaskets were either already on there way out before the custom tune, or you have an egr cooler issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwil View Post
I dont see an EGR delete on your list.....you probably flash boiled your coolant in the cooler.
I agree.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM

there you go then, tune it up hammer down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.