Turbo lagging only when fully warm? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo lagging only when fully warm?

I have the IDP Xrace tune. I really don't travel much distance to work. So when cold, half warmed, or during the first few half throttle runs, the truck will go from 5 to 30psi in an instant, and 1/3 throttle is all that is needed to get there and feel the hard acceleration. It runs perfect.
BUT, when the truck is fully warm on long drives and several pulls, around 200 degrees, I have to go WOT just to get 30psi, and it takes a bit longer to reach full boost. It also doesn't feel as fast as when cold. It's like the timing was pulled badly.

IDK if this has to do with the tune file, or maybe the turbo VGT is sticking when hot? I'm not a diesel mechanic at all so...

Last edited by Texas~KR; 10-08-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM

Yeah now that you mention it, my truck does the same thing. I have Matt's SRL and it definitely has a lot less turbo lag in the morning when it's cold. I haven't noticed what the boost was doing though. It's usually too early for me to care lol. I'm going to look tomorrow morning though and see what it does. I'm interested to hear if anyone knows why it does this.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:57 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

sounds like the turbo needs to be cleaned!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Well mine was just cleaned not too long ago....I run it too hard for it to get dirty that fast. If the turbo was dirty, wouldn't it run worse when it's cold, where as when it's hot the heat would help loosen up any oil and crud?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would look into your High Pressure Oil system. May be developing a leak and loosing some pressure when warm that could account for what you are experiencing.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Damnn funny you say that, I thought I had a HPO problem about a month ago. I checked my ICP pressure with an auto enginuity scanner and I was getting 580psi when warm. I thought this was sufficient so I ruled up a HPO leak and figured it was weak injectors. I guess I should hook it up first this in the morning and see if my readings start out higher and decline as it warms up.

Edit: My curiosity wouldn't let me wait until the morning so I just went out and checked it. The truck had been sitting for 4 hours so it was cold enough for the test. At first start, I was getting 1000-1050psi at idle. I drove around until it reached operating temp, and it was back down to 580psi. Does this sound like a leak?

Last edited by sleeper1; 10-09-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 PM

Bump! I too am curious about this, my extreme street is VERY jumpy when cold but not for long a mile down the road and its normal to me...I wish it was as jumpy all the time like it is when cold lol not that it don't have good power but it would be nice. Its done this since I first tuned it which was over a year and a half ago
Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 AM

I agree, there might be an oil leak, although I could be wrong
Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1 View Post
Damnn funny you say that, I thought I had a HPO problem about a month ago. I checked my ICP pressure with an auto enginuity scanner and I was getting 580psi when warm. I thought this was sufficient so I ruled up a HPO leak and figured it was weak injectors. I guess I should hook it up first this in the morning and see if my readings start out higher and decline as it warms up.

Edit: My curiosity wouldn't let me wait until the morning so I just went out and checked it. The truck had been sitting for 4 hours so it was cold enough for the test. At first start, I was getting 1000-1050psi at idle. I drove around until it reached operating temp, and it was back down to 580psi. Does this sound like a leak?
My ICP reads the same way hot and cold my max ICP I can see is 3700 at wot......I am leaning towards a weak hpop.
My IPR duty cycle reads 20.4 at idle and 71.3 at wot......also I just replaced my icp sensor
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwil View Post
My ICP reads the same way hot and cold my max ICP I can see is 3700 at wot......I am leaning towards a weak hpop.
My IPR duty cycle reads 20.4 at idle and 71.3 at wot......also I just replaced my icp sensor
How can you tell if you have a leak in the HPO system vs. a weak HPOP based on based on ICP numbers? I haven't checked my ICP at wot. What should the IPR duty cycle normally be at? I also just replaced my ICP sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.