Please explain fuel and oil in the 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please explain fuel and oil in the 6.0

Okay, I know this is kinda askin alot but I would really love to know exactly how the fuel system and oil systems work in the 6.0 . Please explain what the fuel does starting in the tank all the way to the combustion (pumps, lines, filters...ect.) and also the oil. From when it starts in the pan to wherever it goes and what it does ( pumps, HPOP, lifters, filters, turbo ect ect..) Haha, you can laugh all ya want, but I cannot get good answers from people I know, and I would love to know all the details. Thanx a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is not everything but these have allot of info.

2003-2004
6.0L Bible Table of Contents

2005 -2007
2005 6.0L Bible Update Table of Contents

Powerstroke 6.0L Technical Intro Manual

PowerStroke repairs

Diesel Engine Diagnostic Guide

441 Diesel & Auto | Ford

All of the above have diagrams and such.

The fuel starts in the tank, gets sucked up a tube, then follows lines to the pump, filter, flows through lines to the engine mounted filter next to the oil filter. The fuel has the option (depending on temp) to go to the injectors or back to the pump to be resent to the engine mounted fuel filter. It does this when it is cold and as fuel is used, the pump will replace the used fuel while it is recirculating. It recirculates to gather heat by the engine and transmission until a certain temp that I do not know. There is a regulator spring on the housing before the filter that sends unneeded fuel back to the pump for the option to cycle back up to the regulator and used, or go back to the tank.

If it is or is not recirculating and/or being uesed, the fuel will flow through the engine mounted fuel filter, it is split to 2 tubes to the driver and passenger side fuel rails. The 2 tubes enter the 2 rails on the front of the engine, once the fuel gets to the 2 rails it enters the injectors.

Last edited by smokersteve; 10-07-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
This is not everything but these have allot of info.

2003-2004
6.0L Bible Table of Contents

2005 -2007
2005 6.0L Bible Update Table of Contents

Powerstroke 6.0L Technical Intro Manual

PowerStroke repairs

Diesel Engine Diagnostic Guide

441 Diesel & Auto | Ford

All of the above have diagrams and such.

The fuel starts in the tank, gets sucked up a tube, then follows lines to the pump, filter, flows through lines to the engine mounted filter next to the oil filter. The fuel has the option (depending on temp) to go to the injectors or back to the pump to be resent to the engine mounted fuel filter. It does this when it is cold and as fuel is used, the pump will replace the used fuel while it is recirculating. It recirculates to gather heat by the engine and transmission until a certain temp that I do not know. There is a regulator spring on the housing before the filter that sends unneeded fuel back to the pump for the option to cycle back up to the regulator and used, or go back to the tank.

If it is or is not recirculating and/or being uesed, the fuel will flow through the engine mounted fuel filter, it is split to 2 tubes to the driver and passenger side fuel rails. The 2 tubes enter the 2 rails on the front of the engine, once the fuel gets to the 2 rails it enters the injectors.

Thank ya very much, those manuals do have a ton of info in them.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Well, rockfish, how's the weather in Bend? I lived there a very long time. Now in Vancouver.

The links smokersteve listed are great info links. Book mark those. His explanation is pretty much right on. Get the fuel system pictures, and his post will walk you right through the picture.

Time to start thinking winter time habits!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks guys I would have talked about the oil but I do not know the all of detail off the top of my head. There is a diagram in one of the links that has a full image of the oil flow. And most of the links show different perspectives for parts of the fuel and most of oil
Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
Well, rockfish, how's the weather in Bend? I lived there a very long time. Now in Vancouver.

The links smokersteve listed are great info links. Book mark those. His explanation is pretty much right on. Get the fuel system pictures, and his post will walk you right through the picture.

Time to start thinking winter time habits!

Weather in Bend is pretty calm for now. Night is getting down to just above freezing but it's dry. Looking forward to a snowy winter hopefully,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.