What is the best mud tire for our trucks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is the best mud tire for our trucks?

I wanted to buy some super swamper boggers for my 05 f250 crew cab, but their website says its for light trucks. Is my truck to heavy for theses tires? Is there a better mud tire for our heavy trucks that will have the same performance as the bogger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
m16 is a beast offroad
Old 10-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Depending on the tire size and the weight of your truck, mixed with what you want to do with it....the boggers should be ok on your truck. If you go to interco's website it will list the load rating of the tires. However, another possible option is the Nitto Mud Grapplers. I have heard them described at "round, balanceable boggers". While my experience hasn't been QUITE that stellar, they perform very well in the mud and ride GREAT (better than my BFG KM2's) on the road for a mud tire. They sound almost like boggers too....loud as all get out. They wear a bit quick but still nowhere NEAR as fast as a bogger will and depending on the size are load range "E" so the work well with a heavier truck.
-Aaron
Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 PM

A bogger is a bit extreme to be driving on the road, it is a helluva tire but i prefer them on jeeps and Nitto trail grapplers on fords
Old 10-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatsu3816 View Post
A bogger is a bit extreme to be driving on the road, it is a helluva tire but i prefer them on jeeps and Nitto trail grapplers on fords

A Nitto Trail Grappler is no where near as aggressive as a Bogger though and they don't offer many sizes in what I consider "normal" or "sane" rim sizes. The second part is JMHO though. I know others will disagree.
-Aaron
Old 10-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i ran a couple sets of 35" boggers on a 77 powerwagon in highschool and averaged about 15k out of them on the road. they rode bad, were loud and were pretty squirmy with any weight on them. worst of all they seemed to start to seperate down the middle. but they looked bad ***, would go anywhere, and people used to call me to come drag em out when they got stuck. I had a buddy that boggers on a 99 cummins with similar results. id say for an aggresive mud tire for the roat the mud grapplers would be my choice or if maybe some of the Swamper SSRs or an IROK i believe they are at least a radial.
Jim
Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
i ran a couple sets of 35" boggers on a 77 powerwagon in highschool and averaged about 15k out of them on the road. they rode bad, were loud and were pretty squirmy with any weight on them. worst of all they seemed to start to seperate down the middle. but they looked bad ***, would go anywhere, and people used to call me to come drag em out when they got stuck. I had a buddy that boggers on a 99 cummins with similar results. id say for an aggresive mud tire for the roat the mud grapplers would be my choice or if maybe some of the Swamper SSRs or an IROK i believe they are at least a radial.
Jim
The SSR is a tire I have been seriously considering for quite some time now but I cannot find anyone that has any experience with them on a 8,000lb truck. My KM2's lasted over 80,000 miles and my Mud Grapplers are at 20-25k right now and probably about half tread, maybe a little more. If I thought I could get 30-40k out of the SSR's without horribly uneven wear or balance problems then I would almost for sure buy a set. I have HEARD (just to be clear I have no experience with them) that the IROKs are prone to sidewall problems/punctures and wear really fast, but that is just what I have gathered from significant internet research.

Tire's are just too darn expensive. I have 2 sets of rims, but one is a set of 16.5's, which leaves me almost exclusively with interco tires. I have thought about having an on road and an off road set, but who can afford 2 full sets of tires. Any way.....sorry for a temporary hijack, back to the topic at hand.
-Aaron
Old 10-02-2010, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
doesn't what kind of mud you have around your area have a pretty good impact on certain tires you would want to buy? i mean don't get me wrong a mud tire is a mud tire but i was j/w...correct me if i am wrong...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 PM
aluminum tubing engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
The SSR is a tire I have been seriously considering for quite some time now but I cannot find anyone that has any experience with them on a 8,000lb truck. My KM2's lasted over 80,000 miles and my Mud Grapplers are at 20-25k right now and probably about half tread, maybe a little more. If I thought I could get 30-40k out of the SSR's without horribly uneven wear or balance problems then I would almost for sure buy a set. I have HEARD (just to be clear I have no experience with them) that the IROKs are prone to sidewall problems/punctures and wear really fast, but that is just what I have gathered from significant internet research.

Tire's are just too darn expensive. I have 2 sets of rims, but one is a set of 16.5's, which leaves me almost exclusively with interco tires. I have thought about having an on road and an off road set, but who can afford 2 full sets of tires. Any way.....sorry for a temporary hijack, back to the topic at hand.
-Aaron
am i reading that correctly in that you may very well get 50k out of a set of mud grapplers?

we are in the market for a set of 37x13.5's and i have not given the MG's any thought cause everyone i talk to has told me they wear FAST
Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
am i reading that correctly in that you may very well get 50k out of a set of mud grapplers?

we are in the market for a set of 37x13.5's and i have not given the MG's any thought cause everyone i talk to has told me they wear FAST
That was what I kept hearing too...oddly enough the smaller vehicles (Jeeps, Toyotas) seemed to be getting worse wear than the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks too though. Go figure. The highest mileage claim I saw was 40k and it was on a Dodge 2500. I can't PROMISE that you or even I will get 50k out of the mud grapplers, but I can say I expect at least 40k and 50k would be realistic. I tend to change out my tires at a quarter tread or a little more just because I can't stand "bald" tires. I guess I would call myself an aggressive driver, but let me try and lay out my driving style.....

3/4-WOT to the speed limit then cruise, I have been know to go faster than most around corners depending on conditions/traffic, etc. I drive 80mi a day "commuting" and most of it is borderline highway mileage. I only occasionally spin the tires enough to make noise or notice a loss of traction (except in the rain), but offroad, all bets are off I hardly ever tow significant weight (Every once in awhile I'll haul a car or something so say 5-7k max and only occasionally).

It's only speculation, but I suspect these people who are claiming horrible wear out of these tires are forgetting to recalibrate their speedometer/odometer, or maybe always burning out. Think about it....Go from a stock tire to say....a 37" tire, that is a 13.5% increase in tire size and makes a big difference in the odometer. (These are probably the same people that complain about mileage loss from a lift without recalibrating their speedometer). They are a LOUD tire though and do get pretty warm on the highway, but they are load range "E" and have treated me well so far at 25k.
-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.