Bypass worth it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bypass worth it?

I've been looking into adding a bypass oil filter to my truck. I've read several posts here and elsewhere regarding their usefulness for daily driven trucks. I can put one together for around $120 but are they really worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 PM

I was wondering if there was a good system/setup for both the coolant filter and oil bypass....there is not alot of room under the hood for both...I'm going to be changing the coolant and thought I'd to the coolant filter at the same time

thanks...sorry didn't mean to jump in on your post
Old 10-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwar View Post
I was wondering if there was a good system/setup for both the coolant filter and oil bypass....there is not alot of room under the hood for both...I'm going to be changing the coolant and thought I'd to the coolant filter at the same time

thanks...sorry didn't mean to jump in on your post
I recently installed a NucMotorSports oil by pass and a DieselSite coolant by pass filter in my 2006 6.0. I drilled two holes in the mounting bracket that came with the NucMotorSports oil by pass and attached the coolant filter to it. Both coolant and oil by pass filters hang together on the same bracket between the passenger side battery and the radiator. The bracket is attached by the two alternator bolts. The set is very tidy; you don't have any hoses and or filters mounted on the frame rails of the truck. Both filters can be easily changed.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
I recently installed a NucMotorSports oil by pass and a DieselSite coolant by pass filter in my 2006 6.0. I drilled two holes in the mounting bracket that came with the NucMotorSports oil by pass and attached the coolant filter to it. Both coolant and oil by pass filters hang together on the same bracket between the passenger side battery and the radiator. The bracket is attached by the two alternator bolts. The set is very tidy; you don't have any hoses and or filters mounted on the frame rails of the truck. Both filters can be easily changed.
wanna post up some pictures of your setup?

and i will say this.. with oil driven injectors... they LOVE clean good oil so use good synthetic oil and that bypass and you will have a truck that will treat you right.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
By all means they are worth it, but don't just slap on a coolant filter, flush and change the coolant to ELC while your at it. IMHO that is more important than the coolant filter. The oil filter will help protect your injectors and decrease the wear and tear on moving parts in the engine.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post

and i will say this.. with oil driven injectors... they LOVE clean good oil so use good synthetic oil and that bypass and you will have a truck that will treat you right.
I would post some photos if I could, I still don't have a digital camera. I'll see if I can find someone that has a digital and borrow it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Coolant/Oil By Pass Filter Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post

Ok, here are some photos of the coolant and oil filter by pass filters.
Attached Thumbnails
Bypass worth it?-_mg_9883.jpg   Bypass worth it?-_mg_9884.jpg   Bypass worth it?-_mg_9885.jpg   Bypass worth it?-_mg_9887.jpg   Bypass worth it?-_mg_9888.jpg  

Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM

They are worth it but not when they are $200+
Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
They are worth it but not when they are $200+
Heck, I have more than 3 times that in mine. It's only got to save 2 injectors to pay for itself. If I can get to the point of doing extended oil change intervals that'll pay for it pretty quick as well.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 PM

Web search for name brand oil by-pass filter kit. You will want to get one that has the capability to take an oil sample. With the coolant by-pass, you basically continously filter the coolant and hardly cycle-change it. With the oil by-pass, you will change the oil at some point. It would be best to have a way of getting a sample to analyze.

I have the FS200 (local to me) oil by-pass with the upgraded steel braided hoses and return. The original return feeds back to the bottom of the oil pan through the drain. I opted for the return to be at the oil fill cavity. It sits on the side of the frame, outside under the driver. However, its just a mount and hose. You can mount it where-ever. Its is under pressure (slight) so it doesn't really matter if its high or low.

I have FCDP coolant filter kit installed.

There are different cylce times which to swap out the filters as well. There is usually a break-in period and a cyclic period. The oil analysis, you may need to only change the stock filter and not the by-pass and not change the oil for another 5k miles.

Just make sure you change the fuel filters and the small trans filter at every 10k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.